Noticing my distress, Casimir immediately steps in.

"You're absolutely insane. She will not get involved in anything this dangerous," Casimir asserts with unyielding sternness, as he firmly opposes Alvaro's proposition.

"I don't want to force you, Larissa," Alvaro says with a measured, almost regretful tone, his demeanour surprisingly calm despite the implicit threat. "That's why I'm being truthful with you. But if you leave me with no other choice," he continues, his voice taking on a harder edge, "I won't hesitate." His words hang in the air, a subtle warning underscored by his unwavering determination.

Alvaro's veiled threat grates on my nerves, and I cannot help the surge of annoyance that washes over me. My jaw clenches, and my eyes narrow as I bristle at his words.

"And what exactly will you do?" I ask, my words edged with a steely determination that matches the fire in my gaze, despite the unease his threat has stirred within me.

"I suppose Casimir's pursuit of my missing fiancée will have to be revealed to the world," Alvaro declares without hesitation. "I wonder how he'll ascend the throne then, with our alliance shattered by his obsession over my fiancée. Just imagine the contempt in the eyes of every Acrerian when he returns home," he adds, a sly smile curling at the corners of his lips.

Casimir's anger simmers just beneath the surface, visible in the clenching of his fists and the tensing of his jaw as Alvaro spoke. His eyes glint with a steely resolve, and the muscles in his jaw twitch with contained fury. While he does not say anything in response, the intensity of his reaction is a testament to the rage that Alvaro's threat has ignited within him.

As Alvaro's words hang in the air, I am torn between conflicting emotions that churn within me. Fear grips my heart, but it isn't because of the danger that lies ahead. Rather, it is the fear of what might resurface from my past.

What if Casimir and everyone else find out how horrible of a person I am?

After all, Casimir already has his suspicions since our interaction with Chad and it has not been long enough since.

The thought of exposing secrets I had buried for so long fills me with a gnawing dread.

Yet, there is something else, something deeper that tugs at my conscience.

Something that I cannot quite comprehend.

"I'll do it," I respond curtly.

Casimir's anger, which had burned brightly just moments ago, is swiftly replaced by shock and he is speechless.

A smile creeps onto Alvaro's face.

"Thank you. I'll see you tomorrow night in Vesna," he declares, his tone carrying a sense of triumph.

With that, he exits the hut, leaving behind a thick, lingering tension that almost suffocates me.

"You don't have to do that, Rissa. I can bear the consequences of my own actions, you don't have to do it for me," Casimir says, his voice tinged with a mixture of apology and self-annoyance.

A fleeting moment of heavy silence envelops the hut.

"You'll be a good king, Caz."

A look of surprise briefly flickers across Casimir's face, but his expression quickly becomes unreadable. Nonetheless, he does not say another word.

♚♚♚

"I can't believe you guys actually agreed to this," Reece exclaims in disbelief, her fingers idly toying with the ruffles on her dress.