25: The Things We Don't Say

Start from the beginning

I finally got into the car but didn't start the car just yet. I rested my palms on my thighs as Dominique stared at me.

"I can't believe her. First, she goes behind my back, and second she takes my assistant," I said then turned to him. "What about Miss Morgan?"

"Oh, Gabriella wanted to send Claire, but she knew that you'd pick up the suspicion so quickly as to send a female to 'distract' you." He said as his brows rose.

"So, she sent you?" I raised a brow.

"Yes!" Dominique rested his palm on his chest. "What's wrong with me?"

"You failed miserably," I said then started the car. As I drove out of the street, I noticed his jaw drop from the corner of my eye. The corner of my mouth rose as the thought of Gabriella's secretary coming to my apartment room. "At least Miss Morgan would've distracted me for a while."

...

I stepped out of the shower with the towel wrapped around my waist. It was Friday night, and all I wanted to do was get into bed and sleep. When Dominique and I got back to the apartments Gabriella, Nick and Claire were still not back.

I didn't say a word to Mr. Parton when we went our separate ways. I had nothing to say to him because I felt like a fool. I understood how Gabriella wanted to be independent, but she didn't have to betray me and go behind my back as to do something to prove a point. It was imprudent and redundant. Plenty of Investors 'd want to sign with us, especially since our families are well known.

I shook my head in disbelief as I walked into my room. I got out a pair of briefs and slipped it on since tonight was sweltering hot. I felt the Californian air as I walked around the chamber, I'd put on the air conditioning, but I just came out of the shower and didn't want to get sick.

I was about to get into bed when my phone rang. I groaned as I looked down to see that Nikita Rolling called. I raised a brow in suspicion that she of all people would call me on a Friday night. Eventually, I picked and cleared my throat before I spoke.

"Hello?"

"A-Adam?" her voice was delicate as she whispered into the phone.

"Nikita? Yes...it's Adam." I stated then sat on the edge of the king size bed.

"Are you busy?" her voice was more audible this time as she spoke.

"Not really..." I trailed off then looked at the time on my phone. "but it is late."

"It's Friday night." She said as I rolled my eyes.

"I know it's Friday night, I've just had a stressful week," I muttered then ran a hand through my hair.

"Oh, well do you wanna' talk?" Nikita asked as I squinted my eyes. I didn't want to be rude, so I agreed. At first, she spoke about the gossip which I wasn't interested in then the gala that she'd be attending this weekend.

"I wanted to go with a strapless sequence dress, but Monica's going with it, so then I decided on a sort of black waterfall dress...y'know the one—"

"Hey, I heard a few days ago that you stopped by my apartment." I cut her off as I got into bed. She spoke so much that I decided to leave her on loud speaker while I got ready for bed. The memory of Mason talking about her entered my mind.

"Oh yeah." She said, and I waited for her to continue, but she didn't. Nikita must've noticed my silence when she sighed. "I just wanted to thank you for the other night when you allowed me to stay."

"Oh, it wasn't a problem, and that food you made was excellent," I said as I laid back on the bed and stared up at the ceiling.

"Thank you, Mister Clarkson; I also wanted to tell you that my mother..." she trailed off then sighed. I raised a brow because it hadn't been the first time she had sighed.