25: The Things We Don't Say

Start from the beginning

I parked in front of the building and got out. As I walked around the car, I saw Dominique stare at me. He propped his chin on his hand as he sent a cheeky smile. I let out a scoff and walked on because it didn't look like he'd be joining me.

I entered the plain building and was met by tension. It was so quiet I could hear a pin drop. Dull colors surrounded me as I approached the high desk. The few people on the floor were occupied and wouldn't even look in my direction.

The woman behind the desk tilted her head back and glanced up at me. She pushed her glasses up and smiled at me.

"Can I help you sir?" she asked, and I noticed how her eyes peered over the desk and down to my attire.

"I'd like to see Mister Philip; I believe he's in a meeting with my partner, Miss Smith," I said then rested my arms on the desk.

"May I have your name sir?" she asked then typed on her computer. I let out a sigh in which she noticed and pursed her lips.

"Adam Clarkson."

She let out a sigh then picked up the phone beside her and rested it on her shoulder and ear. As she typed on the keyboard her eyes widened. I raised a brow when she froze yet her gaze shifted from the screen to me.

"Adam Collins Clarkson, as in the second eldest child of Samuel Clarkson...the Managing Director one?" she tilted her head and gave off the best smile she could that brought out her wrinkles.

"I have a twin sister, but I was born three seconds before her so..." I trailed off with a shrug. The woman behind the desk tilted her head back and laughed a bit too loud since she received looks.

"I'm dearly sorry I didn't recognize you, sir!" She beamed then looked down. "I'll just call Mr. Philip's office and see what's happening up there."

"Thank you." I nodded then looked over my shoulder. Dominique was still sat in the car, only now he had the biggest grin plastered on his face as he stared at me through the window.

I turned back to the woman who nodded her head even though the person on the telephone wouldn't see her. Her eyes widened as I raised a brow. She mumbled something into the phone yet it wasn't audible. She put the phone down, let out a deep breath then looked up at me.

"I-I'm sorry sir, it seems that Mister Philips isn't in his office. Apparently, he went somewhere and won't be in until Monday." She then rested her chin on the palm on her hand. My jaw tightened at the thought of Gabriella; she must've had a backup plan since she knew Dominique would mess up.

"Thanks anyway," I said then spun and walked out of the building. My paced quickened this time as I locked gazes with Dominique. His eyes widened since he noticed my glare. He faced the front, but I unlocked the car.

I approached the car and forcibly pulled his door open. He yelped and almost fell out. I slammed palms against the car and looked down at him.

"Where is she, Mr. Parton?" I demanded.

"I honestly don't know sir." Dominique shrugged his shoulders, but the look he gave me said otherwise. My nails dug into the roof of the car as I lowered my head. He straightened his posture and leaned in his seat.

"WHERE IS SHE?"

"It wouldn't even matter to go there anyway." He raised his arms in defense. "The meeting is almost done."

As soon as those words fell from his mouth, I stepped back. With one last glare, I shut the door then walked around the car. I was beyond pissed; she didn't show any independence but insubordination toward me. We were partners; we're supposed to work together.