Chapter 9 Classes!!

Start from the beginning

More silence followed this little speech. Harry and Ron exchanged looks with raised eyebrows. Hermione was on the edge of her seat and looked desperate to start proving that she wasn't a dunderhead. While I sat near Harry and Ron trying to not be noticed.

"Potter!" said Snape suddenly. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Duh Draught of the Living Dead. Harry didn't seem to have a clue, but Hermione snapped her arm up in eagerness to beat me. Please I wasn't going to get in trouble with Snape.

"I don't know, sir," said Harry.

Snape's lips curled into a sneer.

"Tut, tut - fame clearly isn't everything."

"Let's try again. Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?"

In a goat's stomach doink. Hermione stretched her hand as high into the air as it would go without her leaving her seat, still trying to prove her worth.

"I don't know, sir."

"Thought you wouldn't open a book before coming, eh, Potter?" Snape questioned.

Snape was still ignoring Hermione's quivering hand.

"What is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?"

Nothing they are the same plant. I rolled my eyes at Snape's stupid questioning, obviously Harry wouldn't know everything on the first day. Something was up and I would get to the bottom of it. Hermione stood up, her hand stretching toward the dungeon ceiling.

"I don't know," said Harry quietly. "I think Hermione does, though, why don't you try her?"

A few people laughed. Snape, however, was not at all pleased.

"Sit down," he snapped at Hermione. "For your information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. As for monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite. Well? Why aren't you all copying that down?"

There was a sudden rummaging for quills and parchment. Over the noise, Snape said, "And a point will be taken from Gryffindor House for your cheek, Potter and five points from Gryffindor for that eye roll Miss Dekeyrel."

Things didn't improve for us Gryffindors as Potions continued. Snape put us all into pairs and set us to mixing up a simple potion to cure boils. He swept around in his long black cloak, watching us weigh dried nettles and crush snake fangs, criticizing almost everyone except Malfoy, whom he seemed to like. My potion was perfect, I varied on how I made the potion itself but it was completely perfect. Yet Snape decided to criticize me for the way I made the potion.

He was just telling everyone to look at the perfect way Malfoy had stewed his horned slugs when clouds of acid green smoke and a loud hissing filled the dungeon. Neville had somehow had managed to melt Seamus's cauldron into a twisted blob, and their potion seeped across the stone floor, burning holes in people's shoes. Within seconds, the whole class stood on their stools while Neville, who had been drenched in the potion when the cauldron collapsed, moaned in pain as angry red boils sprung up all over his arms and legs.

"Idiot boy!" snarled Snape, clearing the spilled potion away with one wave of his wand. "I suppose you added the porcupine quills before taking the cauldron off the fire?"

Neville whimpered as boils started to pop up all over his nose.

"Take him up to the hospital wing," Snape spat at Seamus. Then he rounded on Harry and Ron, who had been working next to Neville.

"You - Potter - why didn't you tell him not to add the quills? Thought he'd make you look good if he got it wrong, did you? That's another point you've lost for Gryffindor."

Harry opened his mouth to argue, but Ron kicked him behind their cauldron.

"Don't push it," he muttered, "I've heard Snape can turn very nasty."

As class was ending Snape made me stay behind. "I'll catch up with you guys later, kay?" I told the boys. They nodded then practically ran out of the dungeons before Snape could yell at them.

"Can I help you?" I asked him crossing my arms. He gave me a hardened glare but I was ready for it and I glared right back. He looked away first, HA.

"You need to stop acting like a spoiled brat. Now I adopted you and that means I am in charge of you. So start behaving or else I WILL ground you. Understood?" He growled.

I just nodded and then left so I could make it to Hagrid's on time. I made sure to drop off my stuff and pick Sherlock up so he could play with Fang. At five to three we left the castle and made our way across the grounds.

When Harry knocked we heard a frantic scrabbling from inside and several booming barks. Then Hagrid's voice rang out, saying, "Back, Fang -back."

Hagrid's big, hairy face appeared in the crack as he pulled open the door.

"Hang on," he said. "Back, Fang."

He let us in, struggling to keep Fang back.

"Make yerselves at home," said Hagrid, letting go of Fang, who bounded straight at Ron and started licking his ears. I put Sherlock down and Fang began playing with him.

"This is Ron," Harry told Hagrid, who was pouring boiling water into a large teapot and putting rock cakes onto a plate. "and you already know Jess."

"Good to see you Jess. Another Weasley, eh?" said Hagrid, glancing at Ron's freckles. "I spent half me life chasin' yer twin brothers away from the forest."

The rock cakes were shapeless lumps with raisins that almost break teeth, but Harry and Ron pretended to be enjoying them as they told Hagrid all about their first lessons. I had read a spell that turned things chocolate so as Hagrid wasn't looking I quickly said the spell, turning my rock cake into delicious chocolate. Harry and Ron began talking about how they hated Filch and Mrs. Norris. I too had my dislikes, they were trying to get Sherlock kicked out! Rude!

"An' as fer that cat, Mrs. Norris, I'd like ter introduce her to Fang sometime. D'yeh know, every time I go up ter the school, she follows me everywhere? Can't get rid of her - Filch puts her up to it."

Harry told Hagrid about Snape's lesson. Hagrid, like Ron, told Harry not to worry about it, that Snape liked hardly any of the students.

"But he seemed to really hate me."

"If it makes you feel any better he hates me, and I'm technically his daughter." I replied.

"Rubbish!" said Hagrid. "Why should he? Jess don' be thinkin' things like that. Snape don' hate you."

Hearing Hagrid say that made me feel a bit better but still Snape just was being a huge jerk.

"How's yer brother Charlie?" Hagrid asked Ron. "I liked him a lot - great with animals."

Ron described Charlie's work with dragons in Romania. It was absolutely awesome! I wanted a dragon. I mean how could would that be?

"Hagrid!" said Harry, "that Gringotts break-in happened on my birthday! It might've been happening while we were there!" I looked over to what Harry was reading and read:

GRINGOTTS BREAK-IN LATEST

Investigations continue into the break-in at Gringotts on 31 July, widely believed to be the work of Dark wizards or witches unknown. Gringotts goblins today insisted that nothing had been taken. The vault that was searched had in fact been emptied the same day. "But we're not telling you what was in there, so keep your noses out if you know what's good for you," said a Gringotts spokesgoblin this afternoon.

Hagrid didn't reply but instead offered us more rock cakes. I took some, not wanting to be rude and we left for dinner, all three of us loaded down with rock cakes.

__________________________________________________________

Soooo I would really like 725 total reads before I upload the next chapter. Pweasee :3

Remember to tell me how I'm doing!