Chapter 8 The Second Sorting

Chapter 8

The door swung open at once. Professor McGonagall stood there with her stern face in place. Draco better not mess with her.

 “The firs’ years, Professor McGonagall,” said Hagrid. 

  “Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here.” 

 She pulled the door wide. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches like the ones at Gringotts, the ceiling was too high to make out, and the magnificent marble staircase facing us that led to the upper floors. 

 We followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. Already I could hear the drone of hundreds of voices from the Great Hall— the rest of the school must have beat us there — but Professor McGonagall showed all of us first years into a small, empty chamber off the hall. We crowded in, standing way to close for comfort.

 “Welcome to Hogwarts,” said Professor McGonagall. “The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room."

I knew the rest of the speech because I had hung out with her as she was making up the agenda for the 5th years. Since I finished practicing early she decided to give me the speech and make me memorize it. Joy, right.

"-I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting.” 

  Her eyes lingered for a moment on Neville’s cloak, which was fastened under his left ear, and on Ron’s smudged nose. Harry nervously tried to flatten his hair, like it would make a difference. 

  “I shall return when we are ready for you,” said Professor McGonagall. “Please wait quietly.” She left the chamber.

  “How exactly do they sort us into houses?” Harry asked Ron. I smirked at this because I had already been sorted, but I was sworn to secrecy.

 “Some sort of test, I think. Fred said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking.” replied Ron.

Everyone got scared at that. Please why would they give a test to people who have yet to learn a single thing. People need to learn to use their heads.

The ghosts of Hogwarts appeared scaring many first years. Harry jumped like a foot, it was so funny.

What looked like a fat little monk was saying: “Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance —”

 “My dear Friar, haven’t we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name and you know, he’s not really even a ghost — I say, what are you all doing here?”  A ghost wearing a ruff and tights had suddenly noticed the first years.

 Nobody answered. I was about to reply but nooooo the Fat Friar cut me off. How rude.“New students!” said the Fat Friar, smiling around at us. “About to be Sorted, I suppose?” 

 "Yupp." I replied before I got cut off again. A few other people nodded mutely. 

 “Hope to see you in Hufflepuff!” said the Friar. “My old house, you know.” 

 “Move along now,” said Professor McCat a.k.a. McGonagall. “The Sorting Ceremony’s about to start.” One by one, the ghosts floated away through the opposite wall. “Now, form a line,” Professor McGonagall told us first years, “and follow me.”