28

As they closed in on the enormous bulk of the Leviathan again, Amber prayed that the single cannon of the alien submarine would hold up long enough to do what they needed to do. As soon as Darien and Niamh had Blinked up to the station it had been left to her and Vass to run the diversion against it.

The strain of piloting the colossal craft was beginning to wear on her and she could feel sweat running in rivulets down her cheeks. Her arms ached from steering and her head had begun to throb agonizingly. The painkillers she'd taken were wearing off and she could feel the bruises and scrapes all over her body. All tolled, she felt utterly exhausted.

Keep it together, she told herself, just a little longer.

The massive bulk of the creature was drawing closer, and she still struggled to wrap her head around its sheer size. Never in her nightmares had she imagined this would have been what they uncovered in the darkest depths of the city. Fear coiled in her gut but she forced herself not to feel it; forced her brain to shove the emotions she didn't want to the box in the back of her mind. She concentrated on simply steering them on, straight and true, metre by metre as they waited for the call from above.

"We're in range," Vass declared. "We can hold distance here."

Amber nodded, easing up on the controls with a gasp of relief to hold the gigantic craft in place. Then they just had to wait. Minutes ticked by and she counted each one down gratefully, gathering her breath and letting the headache subside. Her respite was short-lived, however, as Darien's voice sounded in her earpiece.

"Hammerhead, this is Darien," he declared. "Bomb's rigged; Niamh's back aboard the Manitta-Vanna. I'm starting my descent. Engage the Leviathan but keep your distance – I only need a few minutes."

Amber glanced to Vass. The highest ranking and most experienced operative on the bridge, she assumed he would take the lead, but he did not. He looked across from the gunnery station, held her gaze for a moment, and then nodded once.

"I read you, Darien," she said, fighting to keep her voice level. "We're in position – main cannon is primed. We're holding within firing range." She took a deep breath. "Good luck."

"You too. I'll radio when I'm range. Darien out."

"Okay..." She looked at Vass. "Let's make some fireworks."

His features took on their characteristic sharpness once again and he turned his vulpine gaze back to the targeting console. Seconds later a single thunderbolt rumbled below them, sending a strike of green streaking through the water to hit the Leviathan's armoured carapace. A blossom of emerald fire lit up the water, and Amber swallowed hard when she saw its enormous shadow turn to face them.

"You got its attention," Brannigan shouted a warning from the main display. "It's on course for us and closing fast!"

"Great," Amber muttered, then raised her voice for the others. "Alright everyone, hang on!"

Even as she reversed course another lance tore up the water. Gritting her teeth with effort she launched the ship into a hard leftward turn, attempting to take them on a long elliptical course around the Leviathan.

"Vass, I'm going to give you windows," she forced out as she struggled with the controls. "I'm gonna try circling this thing. I'll swing in at intervals. When I do, take your shots. Got it?"

"No problem."

It was hard going, but Amber drew on whatever reserves of adrenaline she had left, knowing that in just a few more minutes the mission would be over, one way or another. She just had to keep it together until Darien delivered the payload. At regular intervals she heaved the ship into a firing solution and Vass, to his credit, didn't miss a beat. Each time she gave him the opportunity thunder sounded in the under-decks and another green blast impacted against the Leviathan. They didn't seem to be doing much damage, if any, but they were certainly getting its attention.