04

Darien knew full well that introducing their new team mate, albeit a temporary one, would not go down well with the rest of the squad. There was nothing for it, however. The quicker he got this out of the way the quicker they could get on with their mission.

He found them down in the mess hall, all gathered around one corner table, deep in conversation. Leading Kelsey through the low hum of activity, he exchanged nods and greetings with some of the other operatives he passed along the way before reaching the far end of the room. The others looked at him first, then almost as one their collective gaze shifted suspiciously toward the newcomer. Darien braced himself.

"Alright everyone," he began. "I trust you've all made a start on going the through the data the research team sent over?"

"A start is about all we're going to manage in two days," Idas muttered. "They sent half a damn library over."

"It pays to be thorough."

Niamh swivelled to face him, her boots currently sitting crossed on the table. She indicated the new girl with a nod. "So who's this?"

"This is Operative Kelsey Brannigan. She'll be joining us on this mission."

The silence spoke volumes. The other members of the squad exchanged a series of disbelieving looks until eventually, inevitably, Idas spoke up.

"Why?"

"We need someone to stand in for Uther."

"The hell we do!"

"That's enough!" Darien snapped. "I'm not here to have a debate about it." He looked to Brannigan, whose face looked just a little more drained of blood than at had been a few minutes ago. "She's newly qualified – she'll be taking over Uther's tech duties for this operation. It is a temporary assignment. Now I know this may seem a little...irregular, but Smith wants her to come with us. End of story."

"Irregular?" Idas shook his head. "That's an understatement."

"This wasn't my idea," Kelsey said quietly. "And I'm not here to replace Uther. I just want to prove that I deserve to be an operative."

"Two days," Niamh said. "Two days before a major operation? No offence, kiddo, but that's not good enough."

"She's coming with us whether you like it or not." Darien turned his steely gaze on her. "We were all rookies once; I expect you all to treat our new team mate with the respect she deserves. Understand?"

Another awkward cloud of silence descended and Brannigan shuffled from foot to foot, looking at the floor. Darien couldn't even blame the squad for their reaction – if he'd had his way they wouldn't have been saddled with the rookie either. He looked from them, to Brannigan and back again.

"I said, do you understand?" he repeated.

They still didn't respond and he felt his temper rising. He was just about to lay into them for their unprofessional behaviour when Amber saved the situation. She pulled one of the vacant chairs out from the table and beckoned Brannigan forward.

"Take a seat," she said, and she smiled. Their new operative returned the gesture and sat down, though she still looked thoroughly ill-at-ease. Hekket leaned forward to speak to her. Idas lolled backwards with his arms folded and scowled.

Niamh stood up and tugged Darien along by the arm. "I need to talk to you."

He rolled his eyes but didn't stop her from towing him out of the mess hall and into the corridor beyond. They kept walking until they were in an empty passage at which point she whirled to face him and her one biological eye was shining with fury. She pointed back the way they'd come.