05

Marianas loomed in the darkness of space like an enormous cloud-streaked sapphire, and from orbit it was nearly impossible to see the minute specks of landmass that protruded from its raging oceans. Enormous whirling super-storms crawled across the planet's surface, their huge irises visible from space as they grew and grew, unimpeded by the normal land-breaks of an average terrestrial planet. It had a strange, feral beauty about it.

In the passenger quarters of the Longstride, Darien stared out of the porthole as they drew closer to their destination. Behind him the rest of Hammerhead Squad, along with the accompanying members of Tundra and Vandal, lounged on seats and tables, surrounded by loose piles of equipment, conversing in a low steady buzz. Many of them continually moved from seat to seat; others paced restlessly, like caged animals.

After their initial Blink out to one of the satellite stations, the trip out to Marianas aboard the merchant ship had taken three long, slow days and the young operatives were getting tense. Their world moved quickly – being cooped up aboard a cramped space vessel for seventy-two hours didn't suit them.

"Not much of a holiday spot," Idas commented, peering out of the porthole next to him. "Good thing we all packed to go swimming."

Darien smirked. For this mission every single operative sported an extensive array of gear far beyond their normal allocation. Underneath his combat vest he wore a full body dry-suit, complete with boots fitted with a series of small grav-jets to aid his underwater movement. In addition to his lance-carbine and sidearm he had a hefty rectangular backpack filled with climbing equipment, sample testing gear, breathing apparatus, flares, portable lighting nodes, and a dozen other odds and ends he never thought he'd have use for. The operatives were going in prepared to deal with anything and everything beneath the waves.

"I'll just be glad to get off this rust bucket," he muttered. "I didn't think Phobos Class freighters were even still in service."

"Only the best for the Blink service, eh?" His friend gave him a playful nudge with one elbow.

As the planet continued to expand, filling his vision, his mind drifted back to the wild card, the spanner in the works; Kelsey Brannigan. Part of him knew it was just irrational. The girl was a good operative according to all her test scores and she displayed a quiet confidence in her own abilities. While things still seemed frosty between her and the others, Amber and Hekket had done enough to make her welcome, and over the two days before their departure he managed to remain civil. His argument wasn't with her and he knew it.

But he couldn't shut out the unease in the back of his mind. Untested, forced to join his unit, the best in the galaxy. There was something almost insulting about it. While she may have been impressive in her training, doing her job in the field would be very different.

"All hands," the voice of the Longstride's captain burst over the main speakers, overriding the low buzz of conversation between the operatives. "We are on approach to the Marianas gravity well. Passengers in hold B, please make your way to the shuttle bay now."

"That's us." Idas grinned.

Darien turned to the expectant faces of the Blink squads. "Okay boys and girls, that's our cue. Hope you all enjoyed the ride – time to go to work!" He made a circular motion towards the ceiling with one finger. "Pack up your troubles and move out."

None of them so much as grumbled, eager to be free from the confines of the Longstride's passenger hold. They swung on their backpacks and grabbed their weapons in a flurry of activity and without needing any further orders they filed out of the room. Each of them would have memorised the layout of the merchant ship the minute they'd gotten on board. Darien hiked his own pack high onto his shoulders, tightened its straps and picked up his lance-carbine from its position leaning against the wall beside him.