26

Darien didn't let his elation at their escape last for long. They might have avoided the collapsing ruins of the city, but one operative was dead, another was knocking on death's door and there was still a monster the size of a city block lurking out in the ocean. He gave Amber's shoulder a reassuring squeeze and stepped back, folding his arms as his mind went to work. The first and most obvious course was to see if the main guns of this ancient dreadnought were still in working order.

"Idas," he barked. "Take three with you. Get below decks and take a look at those cannons. Let's see what kind of bite this old beast's got in her."

His friend nodded and grabbed the three nearest operatives before disappearing from the bridge.

"Amber," he continued. "Get a position on the Leviathan and the Manitta-Vanna. If you can, get us on an intercept course with the sub. They might need help." Then he turned and strode from the room, knowing that somewhere not far away another fight for life was underway.

The medics hadn't moved far from the main boarding ramp, simply finding the first room with a big enough surface they could lie Mina's stricken body across. Vandal's operatives were clustered outside and he could see the signs of their ordeal clearly. Most of them sported superficial injuries and they were covered in residue from broken stone. As he approached one boy stood up with a groan and moved to meet him. He gave a weak salute. His mousy brown hair was a dishevelled mess and his armour bore a slew of scratches and dents.

"Easy there," Darien said, taking a firm but gentle grip on the boy's shoulder. "You alright, Taggs?"

"Aye...I'm a'right," he murmured, the twang of his Donia accent still enduring through everything.

"You did good."

The operative gave a derisive snort. "All I did was run our backsides through that piss-hole."

"You kept your head. That's what counts." Darien sighed heavily. "Who'd you lose?"

"Kamper," Taggs replied and his voice shuddered as he forced the words out. "We were circlin' up to Blink when the whole roof came down on us. A big slab hit her and..." He swallowed, and Darien could see his eyes shining. "At least it was quick."

"I'm sorry. Hekket's the best medic in Blink – Mina's in good hands."

Taggs nodded half-heartedly, turning to look into the room. Deciding there was nothing else he could say to deaden the impact of losing a squad-mate, Darien stepped past him and into the improvised triage unit. Hekket's face was a mask of pure concentration. Opposite him Cath was working feverishly but her face betrayed her anxiousness.

"Hekket," he said quietly.

The medic rounded at the sound of his voice. "What is it?"

"What's the damage?"

"More than our field kits can cure." He shook his head, stepping over to him. "It looks like a jagged rock caught her in the cave in – it cut straight through her armour, broke one of her arms and tore a three-inch-deep gash through her right abdomen. To top that off she must've cracked her head when she went down. I can't be sure without getting her under a scanner but...well she may have fractured her skull." He gave a fatalistic shrug. "Darien, I'll do everything I can, you know that, but at this point I'm on damage limitation. I can staunch the bleeding; sow her up as best I can, but if we don't get her to a proper medical facility in the next six hours she's dead."

"Six hours?"

"And we can't take her to the research station, not with that thing lurking out there."