15

And then she raised her gun..

"You just don't give up, do you?" Thea sneered.

"I wouldn't be so smug if I were in your position." Cornelia remarked, her index finger stroking the trigger.

"I'm aware the gun is pointed at my forehead, but I believe your safety is on." Thea grinned, feeling proud of herself.

At the moment Cornelia slightly dropped her gun to check the safety, Thea lunged forward, shoving the burnt woman into the metal wall.

Cornelia cursed and screamed out in pain, before gritting her teeth and pushing Thea backwards onto the console.

Thea heard a crunch beneath her hand, and she saw a switch labelled Main Power had been flipped over and then crushed into that position.

And then the power went out.

Thea couldn't see anything, the dark was like a blanket, suffocating her and removing her eyesight.

"What did you do?!" Cornelia screeched.

"Are you mentally deformed? I cut the main power." Thea snapped.

"Stupid kids. Always ruining my plans!" Cornelia hissed, and then a match was struck. Cornelia used the small light to set the old wooden desk on fire, the flame illuminating the room. 

Dan quickly moved away from the fire, trying not to get burnt. "Are you kidding? We don't want to end up like you!" He cried at Cornelia. 

"Oh, Daniel. The walls and floors in this room are fire resistant. When the table is burnt the light will go out. But for now, I will use this opportunity to finally kill you, Thea," Cornelia snickered, and once again, pointed her gun at Thea's head, "no more distractions."

Thea's breath hitched. There was no escape. 

"Actually," Cornelia grinned, "I want to watch you suffer. Make it worth everything I went through to get you." 

Thea felt the impact before she heard the gun go off. Cornelia had changed the angle of the gun so the bullet hit Thea straight in the stomach, exactly the same place where Dan had shot her.

She let out a small cry of pain and fell backwards. When her head hit the floor, she knew she wasn't going to be able to get back up. Her vision was blurring, but finally her mind had cleared. She saw past the distractions that Cornelia had planted in her brain, and she finally realized what she had become. 

I have become a monster, Thea thought, now I won't have the chance to take it back. 

"Thea! No!" Dan cried out and rushed to be beside her. He dropped to his knees, gritting his teeth. He softened his gaze and met Thea's dying eyes. 

"I'm sorry.." She breathed.

"Don't be afraid. Come on Thea, hold on to what you have to live for, your friends, your family."

"I've lost my friends, and I'll never get back to my family, Dan. I have nothing." She said, letting a tear slip down her cheek.

"You have me." He whispered, before reaching down and gently pressing his lips to hers. 

"How.. Touching." They heard Cornelia jeer. 

Dan pulled away from Thea and looked over at her. 

"Oh please," Cornelia scoffed, "I wanted her to suffer but this is just cheesy."

And then she let two more bullets fly, each one ripping into Thea with a jolt, but she no longer had the energy to scream. 

"Dan..?" She mumbled, her eyes closed.

"..Thea.. No!" He whimpered.

"I-I'm sorry.." She whispered.

And then she stopped breathing..