5

The automated voice crackled into life again. "Now that you have your partners, it is time to move onto your second official task.."

"What do you think they're gonna make us do?" Thea whispered fearfully to Dan.

"I don't know," was all she got as a reply. 

"The second official task will involve activities that will test you, and push the limits on what you feel comfortable doing. The tests will get increasingly harder for you, but if you fail to complete them, or refuse to do what is asked, you will be locked in an empty room with our creature, left to die painfully." Announced the automated voice.

Thea grimaced at the very thought.

"Test one: breaking the ice. Join hands and raise them above your heads. You have ten seconds."

A poor quality clipart demonstration was aired on the TV screens, and then started the timer, a quiet beep for every second elapsing.

"Aw, screw it." Thea muttered, and snatched Dan's hand, raising their hands above their heads.

There was a small ping as they did so, and a green tick flashed on one TV screen. There was a counter that went up as more and more pairs completed the test.

Thea released her hand from Dan's, and she noticed that Caleb and Michelle were hesitating. And there were 6 seconds left on the clock.

"For God's sake," she muttered.

Thea stood up and approached them.

5..

4..

Thea grabbed Caleb's wrist, and then Michelle's.

3..

Thea thrust their hands together.

2..

The pair quickly raised their adjoined hands, without Thea's forced assistance.

1..

Their tick flashed up just in the nick of time, just as the timer struck 0.

"You're welcome," Thea mumbled, "man up, the both of you."

Thea sat back down in her spot between Dan and Caleb, exhaling, irritated.

"Some people.." Thea breathed, agitated, even though she had a grin plastered on her face.

She heard Dan let out a laugh, easing the atmosphere.

"Well done, everyone completed the first test." Scratched the automated voice, "but moving on swiftly, time for test two."

Every pair of eyes flocked to the TV screens, shivering with anticipation.

"Test two will be a mathematics competition. The first pair to answer will have an advantage to use further in the game. The equation will air on the Television monitors in a moment. The first pair to stand up and call out the correct answer will win. Any incorrect answers will be punishable by death. Please look to the screens now."

Thea quickly looked up to the nearest screen and took in the equation.

17 x 24= N
Find the value of N.

Thea knew this, she had learnt it in primary school.

She racked her brain for the solution.

7 x 24 is 168.
10 x 24 is 240.
168 + 240 is..

"Four hundred and eight!" Thea yelled, standing up excitedly.

There was an uneasy silence for what felt like eternity, but was most likely a second or two.

"Correct! Thea and Dan have won the advantage!" Beamed the automated voice. It sounded like it was programmed to sound happy, but it came out as monotonous as always.

Thea sat down, smiling.

"Nice work, Thee." Dan said, smirking.

Thea glared at him, jokingly. "If you ever call me Thee again, you better watch out." She hissed.

He hadn't earned the right to call her that, only her best friends did.

"Am I not good enough for you?" He grinned, mocking hurt, placing his hand to his heart.

"You have to earn the right to call me Thee." She shot back.

"I see.." He mumbled under his breath, looking deep in thought.

"Good job, Thee." She heard Caleb say, the smugness thick in his voice.

Thea snapped her head up and smacked him on the leg.

"Watch it." She said, eyes narrow, even though she was clearly holding back a laugh.

"Attention," barked the automated voice, "it is time for the third test. Please pay attention."

Realisation hit Thea like a brick to the face.

How did the automated voice say hers and Dan's names? It's automated, it's like the rides at Disneyland, they don't change it, it's prerecorded.

Something bigger was at play here.

And Thea was the only one who had worked it out..