14

Denise just killed the boy she loved..

Thea couldn't believe it.

All those days that Denise rambled on about him, saying how much she wanted to be with him.

And now?

She just shot him, no sign of regret on her face.

What had happened in that arena?

"I don't believe it." Dan breathed.

"Me either," Thea replied, "but this is live footage."

"I guess.."

Thea began to notice that Dan was looking upset; and failing to hide it.

"Hey, are you o-" Thea started, but Dan stopped her.

"Don't. I know you feel it too." He said.

Thea bit her lip. He was right.

All of the distractions were wearing away, and all that was left was the raw pain and heartbreak burning and clawing at them.

"We need to keep our minds clear. Or we might not make it out." Thea whispered.

"Then let's see what the console does.." Dan said, his voice still vaguely weak.

Thea skimmed over the countless buttons, dials, panels and switches, stopping at one labelled Last Hallway 01.

It had a thermostat next to it, and the temperature was down at 16° below freezing.

This must have been the cold hallway.

Thea hesitantly turned the temperature up to a mildly warm heat.

"Just in case we have to go back through." She said, mostly confirming to herself.

"Thea..?" Dan mumbled, voice shaking, "come look at this.."

Thea looked up and saw Dan staring at one screen in particular, his eyes fixated on the black and white images.

When she saw what he was seeing, her eyes widened.

Camera 06

The creature that had once hunted them was once again on the prowl. It was balancing on all fours, checking every door strategically.

"It's hunting us down." Thea said, jumping to conclusions.

"Thea, wait. What if it's a-"

"Dan! It's gonna find its way in here through the other door! Do you want to be ripped to shreds?" Thea hissed.

"Well.. No." Dan replied.

"Then help me with the door!" Thea snarled, trying to drag an old wooden desk to the door.

Dan gritted his teeth and lifted one end of the desk.

Once they had barricaded the door, Dan stepped back.

"You know this won't hold back that creature, right?" He said.

"Don't be stupid." Thea shot back.

The two students went silent.

"Thea?" Dan piped up.

"What?" She responded, harshly.

"I can't keep this to myself anymore." Dan said, pain in his voice.

Silence.

"Thea, you seem.. Different." He admitted.

Tension was rising.

"I think this place has changed you- and not for the better." He said.

"Come off it, Dan, you're being stupid." Thea growled.

"No. And I haven't been the only one to notice it. It was the real reason Denise and Harry turned back. They were afraid to be around you." He snapped.

"Liar." Thea whispered, turning to face him, trying to hide the flash of shame in her eyes.

"Thea, you need to know who the real enemy is. This place, these people, are messing with your head. Don't turn on what friends you have left." Dan reasoned.

"Dan, don't you get it? We're going to die here. Don't bother lying to yourself. They're going to kill us." Thea shouted, letting out all of her built up rage.

"Thea, don't think like tha-" Dan tried to calm her down, but she was too far gone.

"We're going to die, Dan." Thea repeated, her bottom lip quavering.

She turned around again to face the console.

And then the door to the lab was opened, the metal screeching at being forced open.

Both Thea and Dan turned around, and couldn't believe their eyes.

"Yes, you are correct, Thea," Cornelia snarled maliciously, "you are going to die here."

Cornelia's once lively pale skin was burnt and scalded, her face mangled. Her business outfit was blackened and torn, and the ends of her blonde hair had been charred.

And then she raised her gun..