4

Quick A/N before we start:
Shout out to Lnacrafting212 and AmberSquirrel for being supportive of this book so far, and I really appreciate any feedback that you guys have!

They tried to laugh, but nothing they could do would be able to take their minds off what was to come..

As more and more people arrived through their doors into the main room, Thea grew both apprehensive and uneasy. Based on what she had already faced, she was afraid of what was to come.

Michelle was wearing a pastel blue shirt that read Madhouse, Nina had a pastel red shirt on that read Freak, and when Denise finally emerged from her door, she was wearing a pastel green shirt that read Secret Love Song Pt II.  They must have gone down the other hallways, each marked with different colours and other song choices.

Thea caught sight of Dan on the other side of the room. She didn't mean to start staring, but she quickly dropped her gaze before he could notice.

Dan was wearing a pastel red shirt that read No More Sad Songs. Thea doubted it was his favourite Little Mix song, because it wasn't really the sort of song she would expect someone like him to enjoy.

Nonetheless, she tried to take her mind off him. But Thea was still confused as to why he would be so concerned about her when they were back in the vehicle.

He'd never really talked to Thea before, so why act so concerned now?

She shook her head clear of thoughts. Just as she opened her mouth to say something to her friends, the lights dimmed right down and the message on the TV screens changed at once.

Stand by.

Then the automated voice crackled into life.

"Congratulations those of you who have survived the first official task. You have been separated by gender, but in a few moments we will ask you to partner up. The males will be required to pick a girl to be his partner. You do not have to ask her, just politely hold out your hand for her. If either gender refuses to take part in this task, they will be sent to our creature to be punished. Any violation of rules is punishable by death."

There was a few seconds of silence, where nobody moved or spoke.

"Hey Thee, you still have a crush on Dan, right?" Nina whispered to Thea.

"Yeah," Thea replied reluctantly, "I doubt he'll pick me though, over girls like Elisa and Emily."

Nina pursed her lips. "We'll see."

There was a loud scratching noise over the speakers.

"Boys, go pick your partners. Be aware when you pick someone, you will not be able to change, and you will be required to do everything with her."

Thea's gut twisted. Everything? What sort of things would these sick people make them do?

The boys all stood up, hesitant at first, but a few of them strode forward confidently and picked their girls.

Thea caught a glimpse of Damian picking Kiara, and she saw Jason pick Elisa.

Although Thea's eyes were elsewhere, she could sense that someone had stopped in front of her.

She had been picked.

Thea was almost scared to know who had picked her. She didn't want to turn around.

She looked up to see a tall, familiar figure towering over her, his palm extended to her.

Thea could hear Nina and Michelle's excited whispers. "Dan picked her! The ship is canon!"

Thea looked up and met Dan's eyes.

"I think you meant to keep walking." She said to him.

"That's not what I think." He smirked.

He was being genuine.

Accept, Thea!

Thea smugly high fived his hand away. "Sit down then."

Dan took a seat on the bench to her left, when Thea caught sight of Jake in front of Nina.

Nina shyly accepted, but Jake led her to a different spot on on of the other benches.

Harry approached Denise calmly, but Thea could see that he was nervous.

Denise gratefully accepted, she had a crush on Harry, and had liked him for a while, over a year in fact.

And finally, Caleb came over and held out his hand for Michelle. He was clearly embarrassed, and Michelle was clearly blushing.

Caleb took a seat between Michelle and Thea, and rested his head against the wall, exhaling audibly.

Thea felt Dan's body brush up against her, and her stomach fluttered. She shuffled around so that their upper arms were just lightly touching.

She could feel him staring gently at her, but she was too nervous to meet his gaze.

"Don't be afraid." He whispered in her ear, his breath tickling her skin.

The automated voice crackled into life again. "Now that you have your partners, it is time to move onto your second official task.."