baby, you know i'm the one who should be loving you

I wake up at three in the morning for no apparent reason. Everything seems fine.

The moon's still in the sky, and it's shining onto Annabelle's skin. I look at her for a little while, leaning on my elbows, then flump down and tuck my face into the skin between her neck and shoulder. Her arms find my waist somewhere in dreamland, and I close my eyes.

Nope. Not gonna happen. Against my hardest efforts (namely: thinking really intensely about sleep) my mind is awake.

I roll off of Annabelle, out of bed, and slide onto the floor with a thump and a blanket. I sigh, splayed out onto the carpet. I don't feel like dealing with anything at three in the morning. I wrap the blanket tightly around myself and shuffle to the kitchen.

I cook waffles and then I make some coffee and I dance around the flat because something weird happens to your mind in the middle of the night.

I get tired again around noon, and when Annabelle sees me gather up my blanket and start towards our bedroom yawning, she calls out to me laughingly: "You do know that it's twelve P.M., right? Not A.M."

I only huff and hitch the blanket up on my shoulders. "Time is an illusion." And I close the door and collapse on her side of the bed.

a/n: ok unrelated to the chapter but i just sneezed and now my tummy hurts :(