running into exes is less awkward than i anticipated

I'm early to Professor Clark's class, so I kind of just absentmindedly play with my hair, and after a couple of minutes I end up just putting my head down.

When I decide to return to real life, I yawn and stretch back in my seat, satisfyingly cracking all of the bones in my stiff back. When I look over at the desk next to me, all I see is Annabelle looking pointedly at her phone, a blush prominent on her rich, cocoa, freckle-dusted cheeks. I glance over at Professor Clark, and he's smiling widely at us.

I shake it off, and bend over to get my supplies for the class. I slump in my chair and start playing with my hair again.

 The next day is Friday, and I walk over to the ice cream shop when my classes are over. I wash my hands and put my hair up and put on my work clothes. I hum a song and start eating some gummy bears.

The bell tinkles cheerfully, and in steps a tall boy with smile lines and bright green eyes.

"Hi," I say. "What can I do for you today?"

"I actually came here because I heard you and Annabelle were dating," he says. I choke a little bit, and heat rises to my cheeks as I look at him.

"N -- no actually, we're not --"

"At any rate, she was talking -- gushing may be more accurate -- about you like you are, and I just would like to tell you a couple things as an ex-boyfriend of hers."

"Oh ... okay," I say, leaning on the counter.

"We're friends now, in case you're wondering. I do think that letting her go was quite possibly the worst mistake I have ever made. But she is and will be happy with you, so I'm happy."

I barely have time to register that he said that, but it makes me indescribably warm and happy when I do. He could be bitter about not being with Annabelle, but instead he realizes that when Annabelle's happy, he's happy. Whomever it may be with.

"Quite honestly, I think you have the correct idea. You love Annabelle, and want her to be happy. I'm hoping that you're right, and I do make her happy. And by the way, anyone would be lucky to have you," I say. He smiles. Genuinely.

"Just ... when she looks at your lips, kiss her. When she's angry, hold her and don't let go. When she ignores you, give her your attention. When she pulls away, pull her back. When she takes your hoodie, let her keep it. It'll remind her of you, and make her smile. Tell her you love her every day, as long as you mean it.

"Do everything you can to make her happy, because then the world will be happy."

I look into his eyes, and see earnest pooling.

"You really do love her, don't you?" I ask. He nods.

"Yeah. But it's all good. It's now platonic love. And I love my current girlfriend. She's empyrean."

"Tell her that."

"I do. Every day."

"She's lucky. I hope she knows it."

"I'm Jack, by the way," he says, eyes twinkling with mirth and hand extending. I shake it.

"Hazel, but you probably already knew that. What's your Hogwarts House?"

"Ravenclaw, yours?"

"Hufflepuff. What's your favorite Star Wars movie?"

"A New Hope."

"What's your favorite ice cream flavor?"

"Cookies and cream."

With that, I turn around, get a cone, and scoop some cookies and cream. I turn back around and hand it to him.

He looks surprised, and reaches into his pocket.

"Nah, it's for the advice. Also," I add, pulling my phone out and opening it, then slapping it on the counter. "Give me your number."

He does. We exchange goodbyes and thanks, and he walks out, ice cream in hand. I sigh, and run a hand through my hair. I slide back onto the counter and relax, until the bell tinkles again.