a conversation over carrots

"Badadada, hey Hazie?" Annabelle says, spinning into the kitchen, where I'm chopping carrots and dancing into my back.

"Yeah?"

She's tapping her fingers on the counter, and swaying slightly on her feet: she's anxious about something.

"What is it, sweetheart?" I ask, turning to face her fully and drawing her face closer to my own. I run my fingers down her forehead, down the gentle slope of her nose, down to her soft pretty lips.

"D'you think I'd be a good teacher?"

"Yes," I reply without hesitation. I know she'd be a good teacher, actually. Whether for kindergarteners or college students. (They're not actually too different.)

"'Cause I've, um. I've always had like a small dream to become a teacher," she coughs. "I thought it'd be, well, cool if I could make sure students were, y'know, encouraged. 'Cause I can make a living off of a blog, an online job, and maybe I could teach graphic design?"

She rarely gets insecure about such things, and I put the carrots into a pan on the stove then stand in front of her, taking her hands in mine and pressing my forehead against hers.

She giggles. "What're you doing?"

"Maybe you can hear my thoughts better if I get closer." She laughs again, her shoulders lightening a bit. Score.

"Well, what grade would you wanna teach?"

She shrugs, pouting slightly. It makes me want to kiss her. "Maybe high school? But then again, high schoolers don't take anything seriously. But would I be qualified to teach graphic design?"

"Well you have a Masters in graphic design, so I don't think that's a problem. You'd have to go in for lessons on how to teach, but maybe you could do an elective? Or be a college teacher. Professor, actually. Professor Lev-Damore. Very sophisticated. We should get you some glasses for that. You'd give lectures and you'd go into the room and everyone would listen to you because you command respect, but they would be comfortable with you, because you're patient." I play with her hands, waving them about with mine.

"Really?"

I nod. "Really. I think students would be lucky to have you." I lean forward to kiss her forehead, then turn back to the stove.