panic! at the sight of the clock

The next morning, I wake up to light streaming through the edges of the heavy curtains. I glance at the clock on the wall, and immediately panic out of my bed onto the floor, causing a crash that wakes Jenna.

"What's wrong, Haze?" Jenna mutters sleepily, rubbing drowsiness out of her eyes.

"I overslept! Don't we have classes this morning? It's Friday! My seminar started ten minutes ago!"

She throws a pillow over at me and slumps back.

"Haze, it's Saturday. And it's only seven in the morning, so please don't fall out of your bed again."

"Oh," I say, embarrassed. I know for a fact that I'm not going back to sleep. "I guess I shall see you later, J-babe." I head to the kitchen and pour myself a bowl of cereal.

I enter the bathroom to get ready. As soon as I catch sight of myself in the mirror, I let out an undignified squeak of surprise. I forgot that I dyed my hair last night. It's going to take some getting used to, I can tell.

I brush my teeth, then brush my hair. I decide to leave it down this time.

I decide to go for a walk around campus. It's really pretty in the early morning when you don't have to run past everything in order not to be late to your first class.

I take out my phone and some earbuds and sing along to what's playing. No one is around to judge me, anyway. It's seven fifteen A.M. on a Saturday.

When I get to a stretch of grass, I sit down and lean against a tree, pulling my knees up to my chest. It's starting to get cold, my favorite time of year. My hoodies are thick and warm, and the crispness of the air is amazing.

I bring my phone back out and start scrolling through Annabelle's blog.

Transferring to a new college today! Getting settled in my dorm right now. read the most recent post.

Under the text is a slew of comments ranging from advice on surviving, questions about where, and well-wishers.

Sounds like she's going somewhere far away from here.

I don't blame her.

I sigh, close my eyes, and rest my head on the bark behind me, letting the music wash everything away except the thought of Annabelle.

The spell is only broken when my phone's screen is covered by a smiling face with messy black hair and glasses. Jacob's calling.

I press Accept.

"Yo, Bean," I answer. "What's going on?" I can hear him smile at the nickname, one derived from a memorable coffee shop visit.

"We're at Chipotle, d'you want anything?"

"You know what I get from Chipotle, Jacob. Did J make you call and confirm?"

"Yeah."

"Well, tell J-babe over there that I will probably never change my Chipotle order." He laughs, and I can hear him give Jenna my message, then he comes back on. "See you in fifteen?"

"Okay."

"See you, Haze."

"Bye."

The rest of the weekend was uneventful; I had a couple of shifts at the ice cream store on campus, and Jenna ruined the entire kitchen by attempting to bake a cake. That was pretty funny. At least, until Jacob and I had to help clean it up.

a/n: I just saw Rogue One and it's pretty fabulous

i saw it at the Senator and there were people in the lobby dressed as Darth Vader and some Stormtroopers and when the film was gonna begin they marched into the theater and everyone applauded and Darth Vader made the curtains open using the Force

I got super existential and emotional so yay

i recommend