Chapter 43

We're getting ready. I think to meet Marcus to take us to Amity. I'm not sure.

My mind is busy. Christina is putting some make up on Tris.

"Let me get this straight. So you left the Dauntless compound to get ready for war . . . and took your makeup bag with you?" Tris says.

"Yep. Figured it would be harder for anyone to shoot me if they saw how devastatingly attractive I was," Christina says, arching an eyebrow. "Hold still."

I can't help but smile a bit. But my mind is still busy.

When I said I didn't think of much but my parents and Peter,my brain decided to change it.

Now all I can think of is Marlene slipping away ,and never saying goodbye to Will...

"Where's Marcus, Destroyer of Lives, going to meet us?" Christina says. She wears Amity yellow instead of red, and it glows against her skin.

I wear red like Tris. I wanted to wear blue. In honor of my old faction. Tris and Christina understand. Though it would be an illogical move,it would also be a bold one.

I chose logic.

That is in the honor of my old faction.

Tris laughs "Behind Abnegation headquarters."

We walk down the sidewalk in the dark. All the others should be eating dinner now—Tris made sure of that—but in case we run into someone, we wear black jackets to conceal most of our Amity clothing.

"Where are you three going?" Peter's voice says. I look over my shoulder. He's standing on the sidewalk behind us. I wonder how long he's been there.

"Why aren't you with your attack group, eating dinner?" Tris says

"I don't have one." He taps the arm she shot.

"I'm injured."

"Yeah right, you are!" says Christina.

I try to look at Peter and make eye contact with him.

But he refuses such an act,focusing on Tris and Christina.

"Well, I don't want to go to battle with a bunch of factionless," he says, his green eyes glinting. "So I'm going to stay here."

"Like a coward," says Christina, her lip curled in disgust. "Let everyone else clean up the mess for you."

I feel my jaw clench,but I shouldn't show it. So ,I release it.

"Yep!" he says with a kind of cheer that I think others may find malicious.

He claps his hands. "Have fun dying."

He crosses the street, whistling, and walks in the other direction.

"Well, we distracted him," she says. "He didn't ask where we were going again."

"Yeah. Good." Tris clears her throat. "So, this plan. It's kind of stupid, right?"

"It's not . . . stupid." I say,finding my voice, I clear my throat. I feel like the Amity clothes are getting to me,is this really logical?