Chapter 33

Tori and Zeke .Tori is trying to walk, but one of her legs drags behind her, useless. A wet, dark patch covers most of her thigh.

The Candor stop sweeping and stare at them. The Dauntless guards standing near the elevators rush toward the entrance with their guns lifted.

Are they even armed?" someone says.

Tori and Zeke reach what used to be the doors, and he puts up one of his hands when he sees the row of Dauntless with guns. The other he keeps wrapped around Tori's waist.

"She needs medical attention," says Zeke. "Right now."
"Why should we give a traitor medical attention?" a Dauntless man with wispy blond hair and a double-pierced lip asks over his gun. A patch of blue dye marks his forearm.

I huff "even if they are traitors,doesn't mean we can let them die,it's unethical " I say with a raised eyebrow,hoping to get to the man.

After a while,some people help her,and I sigh in relief.
.
I am in a dim hallway that smells like garbage—this must be where the Candor trash chute is.

I saw Tris following Cara,Christina and I .I'm not sure why,probably to make sure Cara isn't a traitor. I shake the thought from my head.

" I just can't handle her being here," Christina sobs "I can't stop picturing it . . . what she did. . . . I don't understand how she could have done that!"

"Well, I do," she says.
"What?" Christina says with a hiccup.
"You have to understand; we're trained to see things as logically as possible," says Cara. "So don't think that I'm callous. But that girl was probably scared out of her mind, certainly not capable of assessing situations cleverly at the time, if she was ever able to do so."

I nod my head ,half agreeing with her . Cara always had a very logical way to deal with things. A way some may find cold even.

"And the simulation made her incapable of reasoning with him, so when he threatened her life, she reacted as she had been trained by the Dauntless to react: Shoot to kill."

"So what are you saying?" says Christina bitterly. "We should just forget about it, because it makes perfect sense?"
"Of course not," says Cara. Her voice wobbles, just a little, and she repeats herself, quietly this time. "Of course not."

She clears her throat. "It's just that you have to be around her, and I want to make it easier for you. You don't have to forgive her. Actually, I'm not sure why you were friends with her in the first place; she always seemed a bit erratic to me."

I stay silent. I agree with both of them,but I'm not ready to talk about it yet.

"Anyway. You don't have to forgive her, but you should try to understand that what she did was not out of malice; it was out of panic. That way, you can look at her without wanting to punch her in her exceptionally long nose."

Christina laughs a little and I remember that Tris is probably listening. I shake the thought and force a smile. It is quite rare for Cara to make jokes. Better to make the most of it.

I feel my heart pang . That was what Will used to say. I shake the thoughts from my head again and try to act normal. As I always had done.
.
"if you were Erudite, what would you say at this meeting?" He means the meeting between the Erudite representative and Jack Kang.

Zeke is asking me this question,folding his hands and looking at me expectingly.

I sigh. "How the hell would I know? And before you say 'you're divergent' or 'you are an ex erudite ' I must say..." I sigh again "alright,I may have an idea about it"

I sigh for the third time "obviously Erudites will try their best not to resort to violence" I say and he nods "seems.... logical"

I nod my head " Jeanine ,from what I know will try to get Jack on her side, and he will do anything to save his faction"

I inhale deeply "even if it means giving us in"