Dungeons

By the time that Brielle came to fetch me at eight in the morning, I was already dressed and perched on my bed, staring at a wall. It may have seemed silly to you, but I had been up at dawn, just waiting to see Lilly. When I got back to my room, I knew that I wouldn't be able to sleep even if I tried, knowing that she was also probably waiting for me, too.

"Summer-" I heard as Brielle's bright blonde head peered into the room,  but I cut her off as I leapt up from the bed and hurried towards the door. I caught a glimpse of her face that showed utter bewilderment, but she shouldn't be surprised. After what she's seen of my protectiveness towards Lilly, she should have expected this behavior. Sleep wasn't something to stand in my way.

I had already brushed past her through the door when she caught my shoulder to spin me around. Her sparkling blue eyes were wide with curiosity as she looked me over.

"What, you're not even going to give me a proper hello?" I only looked at her blankly while she stared at me and I was getting a tad impatient. I noticed how her hair was combed into a thick side braid and she was adorning a loose brown sweater. "Come on, you have to at least have a little bit of breakfast."

I only shook my head at that. "No, I can't eat." And it was true. I would usually try to eat breakfast, but I knew that if I even took a small bite that it would come straight back up. The nerves were overwhelming me with anticipation.

I thought I saw a flicker of sadness behind Brielle's bright blue eyes as she looked me over and maybe even sympathy as well. That only added to my long list of things to be curious about, but I wasn't about to wonder about it now. Not when I'm this close.

I turned my back to her slender figure and began walking down the empty hall towards the staircase. I felt her presence catch up to me just as I took my first step down and I was glad that I wouldn't have to face this alone. I just hoped that it wouldn't be a coffin.

Brielle took the lead as we neared the Entrance Hall and I followed her as she went down another staircase off to the side. It was surprising seeing as how I have never noticed it there before, almost like it had just appeared.

I pushed that into the back of my mind like everything else and carefully followed down in the dim lighting. Moisture and the smell of mildew filled the air and made it a little harder to breathe. A few torches dotted in the walls here and there so that we wouldn't trip and die, but that still left the shadows quite mysterious. The dark stone walls were nothing like how they were in the rest of the castle, almost like they didn't care about this part's condition. That only added on to the bad feeling that was mounting in my chest.

Brielle would constantly look behind her to make sure that I was still there and the further we went down, the more nervous she seemed. I was about to ask her what was wrong when the ground leveled out.

A mighty steel door stood strong and was sure to keep out any unwanted visitors. It was like a mighty grey wall that stood between me and my happiness. I wanted it knocked down.

Brielle raised a delicate hand and rapped sharply on the metal door. An unpleasant clanging resonated in the air before a latch on the door opened to reveal a pair of squinted eyes.

"State your name and purpose," a gruff voice demanded. I was about to reply but Brielle beat me to it with her firm and persuasive voice.

"Brielle Winters, the Royal Messenger and Summer Thompson, Giver of Lord Harry Styles. We are here to meet up with the current... resident of cell A3." She faltered over the word 'resident' and I immediately knew that she had been about to say prisoner. Her word choice didn't disguise the meaning, though.

"Credentials." the guard ordered, and I felt that sudden rush of frustration again. This guy was just giving me an excuse to try and knock down the door that separated us.