Chapter 24 - The viking

“Please. I just need to see them. Just a peek through the window?” Carlisle looked doubtful at me. “Please. I beg you. You will be with me, I won’t go in.” He looked into my wide eyes and reluctantly nodded. I jumped up and down, before throwing myself at him.

He laughed, but caught me. “Come on baby. Be good.” I nodded, and we left the spot in the woods we were in. My hand in his.

“Have you seen my family since?” He sighed, “Yeah. Baby, they are not doing too well. The funeral was tough.” I nodded in understanding. My chest ached for them. My family. “Did you go to my funeral?”

“Of course I did, I’m your grieving husband.” A laugh came through my nose. “Did you play the part well?” I looked at him, and his smirk dropped. As did our walk.

Carlisle stopped, is eyes looking at our joined hands. “What is it?” I stepped closer, till our bodies were flush. “Baby, I was scared. I didn't think the exchange worked. Your body wasn’t moving, and your heart practically wasn’t beating. For that day of your funeral, I thought I lost you.” His arms came around me and hauled me to him. He held me tighter. To reassure himself that I was still here? I wasn’t sure.

“It’s okay, I’m here.” He nodded against my neck, before snuggling against me. “I know, I am so happy you are still with me. I don’t know what I would do if you didn't wake up.” I felt his anger, as well as heartache through our bond.

He thought I died, he couldn’t hear my heartbeat when he got to the coffin, he thought I should have been awake by then. As soon as the heart stops, the vampire awakes. I didn't. I saw the image of him panicking. Frederick, Tate and Carlisle all desperately tried to dig at my grave, still hearing no movement from my casket.

When he saw my cold, unmoving body he thought the worst. That’s when I began to wake up.

“I’m here, I am not leaving. I promise.” Carlisle nodded and sighed. Pulling away he gave me a reassuring smile, then we were off again. His arm was around my shoulders, and my arm around his waist. Being so close to him, felt amazing. I could feel him relax, physically and mentally beside me.

“I cannot lose you Elora, you really do meant the world to me.” My head leant against him, “You won’t. You mean the world to me to Carlisle. You really do.” He kissed the top of my head.

The night was pitch black, but with my improved eyes I could see everything. I wasn’t afraid of what lurked in the shadows, I am a vampire. We are not afraid.

We reached a path I was all too familiar with. It was the one I took from my house to his, on the days I would see the old collapsing house. If I never found him I would be dead by now.

“I guess I have to thank Freddy and Jack.” Carlisle looked down at me, confused. “Freddy hired Jack to convince me to find you. Whether I found you or not I would have been diagnosed with cancer. I would off died.” He nodded and held me tighter to him. “I never thought of that.” I laughed lightly.

How weird things can change. Whether or not you meet someone, it will happen because it needs to.

“How do you feel? Hunger wise? I don’t want you going on a killing spree?” He laughed darkly. Opening my nostrils, I smelt the humans. I felt…nothing. “Nothing. I’m full. Humans don’t smell all too good.” I lifted my nose to the air, to test it once more.

Carlisle stopped and looked at me. “Are you sure?” I took in a deep breath through my nose and nodded. He did the same, his eyebrows furrowed. “The only thing that smells good is you. I guess the legends are true.” One of my eyebrows rose.