39 : find a way

hayley opened her eyes

hayley opened her eyes. for just a second, she forgot. . . but then she remembered the events that just happened. she sat up abruptly and looked around her, desperately looking for them. she saw the towering walls and corridors, but she was alone. a bloodcurdling scream filled the air, emitting from her like a volcano.

*

8 HOURS EARLIER . . .

we'll find a way. . .

hayley's eyes opened. for a moment she was so disoriented that the world seemed to swing around her, but those four, simple words echoed inside her head. now entirely awake, she sucked in a startled breath and sat up. her eyes scanned all around her, taking in her surroundings.

the walls. the maze.

"newt," she breathed in disbelief. "thomas. . . oh my god, what did i do?"

"hayley?" a voice said.

she spun around. standing there was emmett and at his feet, unconscious, was ben. emmett bolted towards her and dropped to his knees beside her, immediately checking for any wounds. it must be instinct for him.

"i'm-i'm okay," she stammered. "i think. is ben okay?"

emmett's face fell and very slowly, he shook his head. "you came in here for nothing, hillary. there's no point. i told you the other day that without the medical supplies that ben wouldn't make it, and that i had to stop helping him."

hayley refused to believe it. she refused to believe that she left people who would literally break if she died, for no reason. she staggered over to ben and saw just how much blood he was losing. it shocked her to see how much blood the human body could actually hold, and how much of it ben was losing.