28 : obliterated her every thought

"It is during our darkest moments
that we must focus to see the light."

hayley was just finishing wiping her arms dry when newt showed up carrying a jacket

hayley was just finishing wiping her arms dry when newt showed up carrying a jacket. she braced herself, knowing he probably just found out what gally had done. she was already preparing what to say to calm him down and to stop him from going to murder gally. she didn't know why he cared so much about her, but he did, and it made her feel safe.

"i'm guessing you heard," she said when he finally reached her. "i don't see any blood so i know you haven't confronted gally yet."

newt rolled his eyes and took the towel from her, then began to wipe the water from her arms. "i was going to, but then chuckie told me you were crying and i had to find you first."

"chuck told you?" she asked, finding herself caring about this boy more and more. he went out of his way to find newt for her and to her, that meant everything.

newt nodded and helped her put on the jacket he brought. it was fairly larger than her considering she was the only girl and the clothing was boy sized. they stood there staring at each other for a few seconds longer than normal. she reached up and gently touched the healing cut on his lip.

"it's all my fault," she whispered.

"don't blame yourself for things i chose to do," he said. "besides, it's only a cut."

"but you got hurt," she said. "because you were trying to stand up for me. i don't mean to sound ungrateful but i wish you hadn't done that."

"why?"

"because," she paused. "i'd much rather be banished than be the reason you're hurt."

"but i'd rather be hurt than watch you leave," he said. "that would hurt more."

she leaned into him, resting her cheek on his chest while he wrapped his arms around her waist. they didn't say anything after that. truth is, they didn't have to. being with newt was easy and simple. she knew he would never hurt her and that made her feel safe, which was a big thing because the glade was a terrifying place.

he went from a complete stranger, to a boy she couldn't stop thinking about.

newt pulled away slightly and locked eyes with her, then without wasting another second, he leaned in and placed his lips gently on her own. she was caught off guard but her body relaxed and she leaned into him. the kiss obliterated her every thought. for the first time since she woke up in the box, her mind wasn't pounding with unanswered questions; all she thought about was newt.

 for the first time since she woke up in the box, her mind wasn't pounding with unanswered questions; all she thought about was newt

before any of you comment on how it's too fast, try and put yourself in her position. you're in a terrifying place with no memories and you meet someone who genuinely cares about you when a lot of others think you can't be trusted and literally want you gone. imagine this one person looking out for you when you desperately need it. newt is that person for her.

(and i don't know about you guys, but if a stranger so much as holds the door open for me, i'm thinking about him for a month lmao)

also, i know thomas cares about her and i'm not trying to make it seem like he doesn't because hayley definitely knows he does, but newt is almost always the first one to be there for her. he literally dried off her arms and brought her a jacket.

"but hayley pushed thomas away."
for his own good. she didn't want him in harms way. she even stopped talking to newt. newt was just the first person she saw out of the two when she found out she wouldn't be banished, which is why she's talking to him right now and not thomas.

BUT, she will find thomas and apologize.

don't worry, your ship hasn't sunk (:

sorry for this huge rant but just wanted to make it clear in case any of you were confused.

i love you guys!

thanks for being amazing readers!