25 : welcome the greenie

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

alby showered up just as the sun began to rise and the runners began their trek into the maze. he pulled out a key and unlocked newt's door. "think twice about attacking another glader," he said as newt climbed out. "you're lucky your time was short this time."

"fine," newt spat. "but let hayley out."

alby folded his arms. hayley cringed, wishing newt hadn't said that. she was lucky to be in the slammer if it meant she didn't have to be banished.

"she's in there for a reason," he said.

"don't tell me it's for her own safety," newt growled. "you should be puttin' the guys who hate her in there if you want to keep her safe!"

alby didn't say anything. they stood there staring at each other angrily. newt wouldn't back down, so alby had to. he leaned down in front of hayley's door and unlocked it. newt held out his hand and pulled her out. alby walked away without another word but newt was grinning from ear to ear.

"i'm grateful and all but i really think you should've left it alone," she said, staring at alby as he stalked across the glade. "he's really mad."

"he can be mad all he wants. he knows i'm right," newt said and cocked his head to the side. "c'mon let's go eat. i'm starving."

newt introduced hayley to a boy named frypan. that wasn't his actual name but it's what everyone called him since he was keeper of the cooks.

they walked over to a table filled with food. she stared at the bacon and felt queasy just thinking about how they got it and instead settled for some eggs and an apple. newt's plate was filled with pretty much everything.

they found a place to sit and eat on the grass when the boy named gally came walking towards them. a couple gladers around them stopped to watch, even alby stood a couple feet away watching closely.

newt glared at gally, setting his plate to the side.

"easy, just came to welcome the greenie," said gally, smiling tauntingly. his eyes moved to mine. "i'll be looking forward to having you try out being a builder. i'm keeper of the builders."

gally walked away with the same grin on his face.

newt and hayley watched him leave and then burst out laughing.

"why is he so obsessed with hating me?" she asked inbetween laughs.

"the shank just had to make it clear he was keeper of the builders," newt laughed.

their jokes were cut short as alby walked up to them. "newt, you need to go show thomas to his next job."

newt sighed in annoyance but knew he shouldn't piss off alby any more than he already has. he stuffed a couple bacon into his mouth and left.

"let's go," said alby. "your first job will be in the kitchens."

hayley grabbed her empty plate with one hand and the uneaten apple in the other and followed him to the kitchens.

forgot to mention that the chain newt gave her in the last chapter was his sisters and thomas's red ribbon was his mothers.