22 : i don't want you here

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

it's been days since the gathering and alby still hasn't come up with a decision on whether or not to banish her. though, hayley found out who the boy that was so adamant on her banishment was, gally. throughout the day she could spot newt shooting glares at gally.

hayley wouldn't speak to anyone, not even thomas. it wasn't because she was angry at them, she just didn't want people to question whoever she talked to. she didn't want them hated too.

alby wouldn't let her work until after he made a decision, so while thomas was trying out each of the jobs she wandered around the forest. she thought about what thomas told her, how the voice in his head told him he loved her.

he had to be imagining it. if they loved each other before then how come she didn't remember him?

she climbed up a tree and situated herself on a branch. she liked it up there because she was completely hidden from view. no one could look at her suspiciously from there.

the sound of a twig snapping came from right below her and she leaned over, looking down to find thomas searching the trees. hayley considered staying hidden but after thinking about it, she climbed down, falling the last few inches and landing on her feet.

thomas jumped. "you scared me," he said with his hand on his chest.

"sorry," she apologized. "what are you doing here? were you following me?"

"i just," he paused. "wanted to make sure you were okay."

"i'm okay," she said after a few seconds. "but you won't be when people find out you're talking to me. they'll hate you too, think you're a liar like i am."

"i don't care what anyone thinks of me," thomas said. "you shouldn't either. those guys don't know what they're talking about. you just have to prove-"

"i have nothing to prove," she said, her eyes watering. "they've already made their mind up about me. it doesn't matter what i do. it won't change anything, but what i can do is make sure that you don't get taken down with me. just go, thomas."

"no," he refused.

"i don't want you here," she lied to the best of her abilities. she didn't want him to go, but she didn't want him to be banished even more. the only way to be sure of that was to push him away. "leave."

her words hurt him. she could tell by the way he was looking at her. she started to back away. he was staring after her, his lips parted. "don't follow me, please," she said and walked off in the opposite direction.

-

a few hours later, hayley finally emerged from the trees. night was falling so the glade was nearly empty as everyone went to bed but alby was awake and striding toward her.

"i'm sorry," was all alby said.

she already knew why. she tried to make it look like it didn't effect her, but inside her heart was racing. "the doors aren't open," she said. "i'll be banished tomorrow, then? will you let me say goodbye?"

she thought of newt and his overwhelming kindness he's given her since she first stepped foot in the glade and how he stood up for her in the gathering. she wasn't going to leave without telling him how much she appreciated it.

and then she thought of thomas, and how his presence made her body feel warm and her heart flutter. she hurt him but she would tell him she would do it again, if it meant that he would be safe.

"i'm not banishing you," said alby. her eyebrows crinkled up in confusion and she felt a tear manage to escape and slide down her cheek. "but unfortunately that means i'll have to put you in the slammer until i get the word out and the others on board. it's for your own safety."

hayley couldn't stop herself from flinging her arms around alby and hugging him. he looked taken aback but hugged her back. she didn't mind staying in the slammer for a few days, as long as it meant that she wouldn't be banished.

"thank you," she breathed. "i won't make you regret your decision."

alby smiled and nodded his head, then guided her to the slammer.

the slammer stood in an obscure place between the homestead and the north glade wall, hidden behind thorny, ragged bushes that looked like they hadn't been trimmed in ages. it was a big block of roughly cut concrete, with one tiny, barred window and a wooden door that was locked with a menacing rusty metal latch, like something out of the dark ages.

alby took out a key and opened it up, then motioned for hayley to enter. she hopped down and looked around. she saw only one thing, an old rickety chair. "brilliant," she said sarcastically.

"remember," alby said. "it's only for a short period of time. newt is in the one next to this one."

"newt?" she asked in disbelief. "what's he being punished for?"

"harming another glader," answered alby. "during the gathering. didn't want to have to put him in here, which is why i gave him time to apologize to gally but the shank didn't do it."

alby closed the door and locked it up before leaving to go to bed.

hayley shifted uneasily before eventually sitting on the hard ground and leaning her head against the wall. she heard shuffling coming from the other slammer and then newt's voice came. "hayley? did that shuck face really put you in here?"

"yeah," she answered. "it's better than being banished that's for sure."

"but you didn't do anythin' wrong," newt spat angrily. "you gave them no reason to not trust you. the slammer is a place for people who broke the rules, not for you."

she untied the ribbon from around her wrist and played with it. it somehow made bad situations not so bad. "i'm okay, newt. it's not so bad in here. a little cold but just because i'm a girl doesn't mean i can't handle a few nights in here," she tried to get him to calm down. "i'm okay, i promise."

it seemed to work because she heard him laugh and say, "okay, tiger."

please vote, share and comment!
if you want more xx