3 : just a girl

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

the next morning teresa came to see him. she knocked on his door repeatedly until he opened it. he felt emotionally and physically drained and didn't feel like arguing with her again.

"thomas," she said. "i know you don't understand but please try."

he stared at her for a long time, not knowing who the girl standing in front of him was because it wasn't the girl he grew up with. the girl he grew up with would never allow sending a girl into a group full of boys.

"she's just a girl, teresa." thomas said, trying desperately to get her to understand the gravity of what she's doing. "and you're putting her into a group of boys. they're stronger and because of that we have no idea how they're going to react. they could banish her in a second."

he watched them banish someone before, because that person broke their rules. he watched them as they forced someone into the maze before the doors closed, trapping him there to die. who knows what they could do to the only girl. hayley didn't deserve what her future holds.

for a moment thomas thought teresa actually looked as guilty as he felt. but it was gone in a second and was replaced with the determination she always expressed. "it needs to be done," was all she said before walking away.

-

chuck was a constant bright spot in what had been a miserable couple of months since sending the first batch of subjects in, after stealing their memories. if it weren't for chuck and teresa, thomas didn't know how he would have survived. but now chuck was sent into the maze and teresa was doing something he didn't agree with.

he felt alone and he found himself trying to find out where hayley's room was. once he knew where it was he went there, once again pushing away the voice in his head to stay away from her.

her door was open and he walked in, finding her sitting on the floor and playing with a piece of string. her eyes were so focused on the string that it took her a few minutes to notice he was standing there. she looked up and a small smile spread across her slips.

"hi, thomas."

"hi, hayley," he said and sat down beside her.

they sat in comfortable silence for awhile until she said, "tell me more about my brother," her voice was sad. "i'd love to hear stories you had with him."

"we loved teasing each other," said thomas. "being alone often brought some bad memories crashing in, and chuck was a beacon that lit the darkness."