26 : kitchens

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

alby walked her over to the kitchen and handed her off to frypan. "you'll be helping frypan in the kitchen for today and tomorrow you'll try out another job," alby filled her in. "i'll come back and check on you at supper."

"thanks, alby." she replied and he left.

her nerves were going over board right now, just thinking of the fact that she has to cook when she has never cooked a day in her life.. or have i? she thought. guess i'll never know.

"hayley?" frypan broke her out of her thoughts and she looked at him confusedly.

"i'm so sorry," she apologized. "i get lost in my thoughts sometimes. it won't happen again."

"hey, it's cool! i'm surprised you're even functioning. this place is scary as shuck and most of us were freaked during our first week," said frypan. "you're already doing better than the rest of us."

"thank you," she smiled slightly. "what can i do?"

she looked around at all the vegetables that were laying completely unorganized on the tables around them. she didn't know what most of them were, aside from the obvious carrot, onion, potato, peas, and tomato.

"see that pot over there?" frypan pointed to behind her. she looked and saw a boiling pot on a tiny stove. "take these sliced up vegetables and drop them in there."

frypan handed her a cutting board with diced up vegetables. she grabbed it and walked over to the pot. the boiling liquid intimidated her. hot droplets spurted out like little fire crackers.

she took a deep breath and dropped in the vegetables, sighing with relief when she did it without burning herself.

"great," said frypan, watching her closely. "now just add some spices and i'll do the rest."

"uh.." she looked in a tiny cupboard beside the stove to find tiny bottles filled with a numerous amount of colours with no labels. she glanced back at frypan to ask which ones she used but he was busy peeling potatoes and chatting with another glader.

she sighed and just grabbed the pretty colours, smelling them before she tossed a bit of each in the boiling pot.

frypan came over when she was done and put the peeled potatoes inside before she could stop him.

"how do you know the spices i put in will taste good??" she asked, almost freaking out with anxiety. "people are going to be eating that," she pointed at the pot.

the water looked pretty but who knew if it tasted good.

frypan chuckled. "calm down, greenie. i'm sure it's fine."

she bit her lip nervously and stared at the pot.

-

newt showed thomas over to the gardens and explained to him what he would be doing and introduced him to the keeper. thomas was only half listening, because he was watching hayley walk alongside alby to the kitchens.

"got it?" newt asked, breaking him away from his thoughts.

"wait, what?" he asked, confused.

"stay focused, greenie!" newt yelled.

"i'm sorry." he apologized and asked before he could stop himself, "how's hayley? is she okay?"

"why do you care?" newt asked suspiciously.

"i don't," he lied.

"keepin' a close eye on her," newt said after awhile. "now slim it and get to work."

i didn't forget about chuck, don't worry!
hayley will be meeting him soon(: