32 : i wont operate in fear

the builders laughed, watching her enter the circle, knowing she was going to lose

the builders laughed, watching her enter the circle, knowing she was going to lose. she knew it too, but she wasn't going to back down. the sole reason she came to work with the builders was to prove that she wasn't going to let gally push her around. she laughed to herself, because in just a few minutes gally will be pushing her around, but no matter what, she wasn't going to stand back and let him without trying to fight back.

ashton stumbled to his feet and grabbed hayley by the arm, leading her a couple steps away from gally. "you don't have to do this," he whispered harshly. "you're just a girl. this game was invented when you weren't here."

"i'm going to get hurt," she retorted. "but just because i'm a girl doesn't mean i can't try."

"i know," he sighed. "but i don't want you to get hurt."

"ashton," she paused. "... we all get hurt sometimes. it's life. i won't cower. i won't operate in fear."

she turned around and walked back to the center of the circle, in front of gally. he smirked, ready to start. she heard ashton calling her name and turned around to see him being pulled out of the circle by two boys. ashton resisted, trying again to convince her to leave the circle.

before she had time to react, she was on the ground.

gally shoved her while she wasn't looking. she glared up at him but he just shrugged and said, "the game started. not my fault you weren't ready."

she looked around and noticed she was still in the circle; still in the game.

she quickly rolled over just as gally was about to kick her and instead his foot stomped the ground, creating a cloud of dust from the sand. she tried to kick him, but he caught her foot and yanked it forward, knocking her off-balance. her back smacked into the ground, and she pulled her foot free, scrambling to her feet.

he punched, pain stabbed her jaw and spread across her face, making her vision go black at the edges and her ears ring.