12 : we'll find a way

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

"thomas."

he opened his eyes to see teresa standing above him. he knew it was time for hayley to go but he found himself begging for more time. "please," his voice cracked. "don't."

"i'm sorry," teresa said sadly. even she knew this was breaking him.

thomas held onto hayley tighter and squeezed her hand. he watched as teresa reached out to shake hayley awake. "stop..." he begged again but it was too late.

hayley stirred awake and lifted her head off thomas's chest to look at teresa. realization washed over her and tears filled her eyes. "i need to say good bye," she told teresa.

teresa nodded after thinking about it for a few seconds. "5 minutes. that's all i can give you."

a painful lump started to form in his throat as he tried to stop the tears from coming. he was grateful for getting more time with her but he wanted more. he wanted a life time.

once they were alone in the room, hayley hugged thomas as tightly as she could as she told him, "we'll find a way, thomas. you were right, this won't be forever." when she let him go she noticed his cheeks stained with tears. she wiped them away with her hands.

"i'm sorry," he said. "it's my fault this is happening to you."

"i don't see it that way," she said. "so neither should you. all i'm thinking about is the fact that i'll be seeing my little brother soon and that makes it all worth it. i was angry at you for sending chuck there but then i realized it wasn't your fault and if it was up to you, you wouldn't have let him go. i didn't know that before but now i do. i don't blame you, thomas."

he's been carrying the guilt ever since his friends were sent to the maze without him but hearing hayley say those words somehow managed to take away the guilt. he suddenly felt a huge weight lift off his shoulders; all because of her.

the door opened and teresa called hayley.

thomas was about to tell her how he felt about her but hayley kissed him on the cheek and he was at a loss for words.

"we'll find a way," she repeated.

and then he was alone.