daryl's daughter (rick g.)

Start from the beginning

Since I am clearly not going on this run, I decide to go over and talk with Tara about my completely reasonable anger.

"Hey." she says softly as I walk into her and Denise's shared house.

"Hey." I say solemnly, letting her know something is wrong. Tara has always been someone I can talk to when I'm upset or just in a generally bad headspace. She always takes a very nonjudgmental stance with me and I'll forever appreciate it.

"What's up little Dixon?" she asks while tying up her boots. I'm assuming she's going on the run too. Of fucking course.

"My dad won't let me go on the run today. Tara, do think you I'm capable of taking care of myself? I-I mean maybe I'm not as strong as I thought." I wonder.

"Y/N, hear me when I say this. You are one of the strongest of us all. You are smart and brave and the best at staying calm and collected. Your dad knows this, he just worries." she explains to me.

Without really thinking, I lean forwards and hug her tightly. "Thank you. I'm gonna head back home."

After my brief talk with Tara I head back to the house, but run into Rick on the way. I'm still a little embarrassed after what happened this morning.

"Hey, are you going on the run too?" I ask.

"No, I'm staying back. Look, do you wanna just hang out a little? I know you're kind of upset about not going." he says.

I'm not sure about Rick. I mean he's a good, decent man. He possesses basic morality. He's strong willed and he's been through a lot, we all have. He's been with me ever since the beginning, even when my father was a huge asshole. I've grown close to him. The truth is, I've always loved him.

"Sure." I say warily. I follow him through the streets of Alexandria, smiling at those of our groups. I've been told that I can be a bit harsh to the Alexandrian's. In my defense, they can be pretty narrow minded and they're naivety makes me question their awareness of all that's happening around them.

"Your dad trusts you Y/N." Rick states suddenly. I can't help but to scoff and roll my eyes.

"Yeah, he's very convincing." I say, my words laced with sarcasm. Rick laughs quietly and we continue walking until we reach my house.

I open the door and we enter my dad and I's home. We've been truly lucky to have houses like these. Even before the apocalypse, my dad and I never even dreamed of having a house like this. We were always struggling to get by, living in trailer parks or dirty motels.

We're also lucky to have met the group. I never thought dad and I would find people who would genuinely accept us as we are. We've been burned so many times I thought it would just be easier to shut everyone out in order to reduce the risk of being hurt again. I still get like that sometimes but I have to remind myself that these people care for me in a way I haven't experienced.

"You think all this is gonna last?" I ask out of the blue. The question clearly catches Rick off guard as he slowly takes a seat on the couch across from me. "Alexandria? You think our luck is gonna run out like it usually does?" I question, a slight laugh in my tone.

"I think it'll last for awhile. And even if it doesn't, you don't have anything to worry about." he says while eyeing me, his gaze telling me something that his words aren't.