❝ i'm not even sure why i'm down on my knees ❞

Start from the beginning

I felt like I should've interrupted Nathan and Ashton somehow, but what could I say? I hadn't known. I had overheard Ashton and Keira in the kitchen, but I hadn't known what they were talking about. Confessing to murder was a huge thing so I guess I understood why Ashton had thought Keira wouldn't do it, but keeping Nathan in the dark about it wasn't right either. I had a feeling if I tried to help, I'd only make it worse.

I wasn't good at these kind of things.

Jacen had been right, Nathan exploded. "That's your problem, Ash! You always underestimate people."

Ashton didn't even try to deny it.

"Why didn't you talk her out of it?" Nathan demanded. It was actually a little scary to see him like this, since most of the time I had known him, he had been laid back and easy-going. I hadn't expected that he was always like that or anything, of course, but it was still weird seeing him so angry over something, even though his anger was understandable.

"I tried," Ashton said. "You think there's any way of convincing Keira not to do something when she's determined to do it?"

"Why didn't you tell me?" Nathan asked, starting up his pacing again. "You should've told me."

Ashton shook his head. "I didn't think she was serious."

I narrowed my eyes. He was lying, I think. It wasn't because of any obvious body language, or anything, but because I was pretty sure even if he had known for sure that she was serious he still would've tried to keep it from Nathan. To keep him "safe". He would've tried to talk her out of it.

"How did you know? Why did she tell you?" Nathan demanded, turning to stare at his brother.

I glanced at Jacen. "Did you know?"

His jaw clenched. "Do you think I would've let her if I did?"

"You don't seem distressed about it," I pointed out.

He looked at me from the corner of his eye, then stared back up at the ceiling. "I'm not into wearing my heart on my sleeve. That's more Nate's style."

"No," I said. "Apparently you just like pretending nothing's serious."

"Because it's not," he replied harshly, shaking his head. "They won't be able to find anything against Keira."

"Then why'd she confess in the first place?" It didn't make sense. If Jacen was right, and there wouldn't be anything that connect Keira to the Olivia's murder, why would Keira confess in the first place? Why would she do any of this if it wasn't going to go through?

Jacen shrugged. "How am I supposed to know what goes on in her mind?"

But something, maybe the glint in his eyes, told me he did know why she had done it, or at the very least had a guess. "I think you're lying," I said, even though I wasn't sure calling him out on it would help.

He shrugged again, neither confirming nor denying it.

"What if they do believe her?" I asked.

"Then we get her out," he replied. "It's not like we haven't done it before."

He said it casually, like it was no big deal that they had kept someone out of jail. For murder, too, or something smaller? I remember Cameron had mentioned it as well when he had been talking to Skylar after Daniel had been arrested.

I glanced at Jacen. "Who did you keep out of jail?"

He smirked. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, but before I could continue asking, one of the doors opened and a police officer stepped out, followed by Keira.