Trick Or Treating

Ji sighed to himself.

It was Halloween, and he had been appointed to take the future Rangers out trick or treating.

Of course the kids shouldn't be much of a problem, but they're kids, and anything could go wrong.

"Ji!" Jayden called from his room. "You can come see now!"

Ji walked into the eight year old's room to find Jayden dressed in all black clothes with a large cape on his shoulders. It was black on the outside, and red on the inside.

"This is good right?" The boy asked.

Ji smiled. "It looks great."

Just then Lauren walked into the room.

"Hey little Dracula." The eleven year old said. "Come on so I can get your makeup on."

Jayden smiled and ran towards the bathroom.

The doorbell rang an hour later, and it was a guardian arriving with the other four Rangers.

Ji invited them inside.

"Where's Jayden?" Mike asked.

Taking this as his cue, Jayden jumped out from behind a corner, yelling "Boo!"

Ji was shocked at the child, Lauren had done a really good job on his makeup.

He looked extremely pale, apart from the fake blood dripping down the sides of his mouth.

There was a temporary tattoo of a vampire bite on his neck, and his hair....

"Lauren!" Ji called.

Lauren came into the room. "It looks good, huh?"

Ji looked at her. "Look at his hair!"

Jayden's normally dirty blonde hair was now black, and spiky.

"I didn't condone this."

"It's temporary!" Lauren defended. "It'll wash out."

"It better." Ji replied.

Lauren looked at the rest of the kids. "Hey guys, you ready for your makeovers?"

The other Rangers nodded excitedly and followed Lauren into the bathroom.

The doorbell rang again, and this time it was Antonio.

Ji let him in, and then called, "Jayden! Antonio's here!"

Jayden ran into the room.

"Woah," Antonio started. "Your costume is really cool."

"So's yours." Jayden replied. "But Lauren can do makeup on your face if you want."

Antonio nodded and Jayden led him into the bathroom, where Lauren was finishing Mike's monster makeup.

"They look great." Ji commented, looking at all the kids.

Mike was a monster, and his face was now green with scales.

Emily was a butterfly, so Lauren decorated her face with blue, purple, and pink.

Kevin had dressed up as a chef, so he didn't need makeup, but Lauren painted a squid on his cheek so he wouldn't feel left out.

Mia was a cowgirl, so Lauren gave her a sheriff's badge on her cheek.

Antonio was dressed as a werewolf, so his clothes were all ripped up and his hair was a mess.

"I can paint black veins on your arms, neck, and face so it looks like you're transforming." Lauren suggested. "You want that?"

Antonio nodded.

It took Lauren 15 minutes to do Antonio's makeup, and then she got dressed in her own costume.

"Okay," Ji started, handing each child a pillowcase, "everyone gets a buddy. And if your buddy isn't with you, you need to tell me immediately. Understand?"

All the children nodded.

"Lauren, you're responsible for watching Emily, okay?"

The eleven year old, now dressed as a witch, nodded. She was the oldest of the group, so it was obvious that she'd be put in charge of Emily, who was a year younger than all the other Rangers.

"Mia, you'll be with Kevin," Ji continued, "and Mike, Jayden, and Antonio will be a group of three."

"Let's go!" Mike exclaimed, heading towards the door.

Ji chuckled. "Stick with your buddies Mike."

It started very well, the buddy system working out great.

The kids were having a great time getting candy, and most of the houses they hit gave out big handfuls.

After two hours, it was getting dark, and harder to see, even with all the streetlights.

Unfortunately, Mike tripped on a branch coming back from someone's house.

He started to cry, and Ji went over to look at the injury.

"It looks like you sprained your ankle." He said, picking Mike up. "I think it's time to head back."

"Wait!" Mike argued. "Can we do one more house?"

"Yeah Ji, just one more?" The other kids started.

"Okay," Ji replied, giving in. "Which one?"

Mike looked around for a moment.

"That one!" He exclaimed, pointing down the road.

There was a large house completely covered in the creepiest Halloween decorations they'd seen all night. The door was open, and there was a sign on it that read Haunted House.

Ji was unsure, but he walked over to the house with the kids.

"Hello." A woman dressed in a witch costume greeted. "Want to come inside? If you make it to the end, you get all the candy in the cauldron."

The kids nodded eagerly.

"I can carry Mike." Lauren said.

Together, the seven kids walked into the house.

The whole thing was one long winding hallway, and the dark atmosphere made it seem more scary.

Realistic looking spider webs crowded every corner, and blood dripped down the walls.

After a few jump scares and some running, the kids made it to the other side.

"Congratulations!" The woman exclaimed. "Here's your prize."

She handed over a large plastic cauldron that was overflowing with candy.

That night, with the cauldron in between them, the kids fell asleep watching It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown still in their costumes, and Ji took a lot of pictures.