Second Heartbreak is the Deepest

They say first heartbreak is the deepest, but even if it is, what level of fresh hell is this?

His arms circle her waist. Her arms rest behind his neck. Their lips locking passionately as they sway through the rhythm of slow jazz playing in the air, in sync with their bodies that glimmer under the dim light of the ballroom. And Erina can only savour the intensifying pain from the minibar in the distance.

Tadokoro Megumi: there's no way she could stand between any happiness in her.

When she thinks this 92nd generation graduation ball can't be anymore depressing, a dance between the 1st and 2nd seat has to be mandatory, so when Sōma offers her his hand, she accepts to fulfill the crowd's anticipation.

"How you holding up?"

Well, wouldn't you like to know. "Tired."

"I figure. Totally lost count how many guys asked you to dance with them tonight." He whispers in her ear as they move through the gentle beat of Lost Stars.

"Yet here I am. Stuck with you."

He chuckles.

"It looks like it has been your night so far, Yukihira-kun."

Sheepishly, he remarks, "Well... you... could probably say that."

She only nods slowly, letting his uncoordinated movement guide her through the dancefloor, which in a normal circumstances she would endlessly give an earful about.

But right here, in the middle of hundreds of Tōtsuki students watchful eyes, all she can see is him. Looking so dashing in a tuxedo and bow tie with his red hair completely pushed back. Eyes glistening with joy, lips still curl into a smile.

"Thanks again, Nakiri." He mumbles after giving one twirl.

"For what?"

"For everything you've done. The pep talks, the badmouth, the push." He tells her, "Couldn't have made it here as the 1st seat without ya."

It's all her fault. Her pride's fault. Now she can't look at him without having her mind travel backwards to the memories they've made. Good ones, bad ones, and when she finds her eyes linger too long at his lips, it just reminds her that she's missed her chance. And time can't find its way to turn itself back and let her fix things up for their sake.

Why, God. Why... Why does one must fall for what can never be...

"You still owe me those words, Nakiri. Genuinely next time."

She shrugs weakly, "I doubt there will even be next time."

"What're you on about? Even though we've graduated, I'm not giving up just--"

"Yukihira, let's just dance. Okay?"

So he complies.

And as Erina feel tears prickling on the verge of her eye, she ignores her vanity and let her head rests over the warmth of his shoulder for the last time, hoping if it falls on his tuxedo, no one will notice. Especially not when she quietly slips her red bracelet inside his pocket as he pulls her closer.