Lost of Purpose

Apparently, being placed in 2nd seat is not so different from being the 1st. Not sure if that's always the case, but it's mostly doubtful since the current 1st seat is nothing but a lazy, irresponsible piece of potato sack-- in the eyes of Nakiri Erina, of course.

He's always asking her for coverage speech duties whenever he's feeling like doing a cooking duel outside of school, or forcing her to get on his portion of paperworks if he's out shopping for weird, estranged ingredients. Even worse, to her, is that one time he asked her to lead the weekly Elite Ten meeting because he was sleepy.

But of course, Erina does not always give him what he wants.

"C'mon, Nakiri! Y'know you want to do it. Don't you miss being in control of every event?" He'd tease her every time she turns him down, "There's only three months 'till graduation."

"As if, Yukihira. I have my own responsibilities to do."

Well, at least that's roughly how people see their dynamic these days, but if her heart is an open book the public could freely read, they wouldn't believe their own eyes anymore.

They stopped interacting outside the Elite Ten business now that Erina has admitted defeat and seemingly approve his cooking. Visiting Polar Star dorm isn't as exciting as it's used to be for her as it would just be strictly business with Megumi. They don't even have time to talk about the continuation of their favorite shoujo manga anymore when Elite Ten business is always taking so much time.

Sōma, now recognized by her, loses his habit of forcing dishes after dishes to Erina like he used to back in those days. Instead, she always catches him either slouching himself on TV or even when he cooks now (as much as she hates admitting it), his dishes are not as inventive and doesn't burst with spirit any longer-- like it has lost its soul. His golden eyes that were always so lively, are now giving away empty gazes towards everything he's touching.

Strange how life works for her, because when she thinks it's finally time to drift away from their unspoken thing, it's when Eishi starts slipping away from her.

I have to cancel again tonight .

He'd send the same old text just like he always does.

What's the reason now?

My staff overbooked the dinner service. There's nothing we can do.

I turned down an important client tonight, just so you know.

I'm sorry, Erina. I promise I'll make it up to you tomorrow. But I have to work for now.

She doesn't (and never) reply because she thought it's no use if he always ends up showing his nose on Nakiri Mansion the next day with a big bouquet of lilies, his offer to cook for her, and something else which then leads into him trailing mindless kisses down her neck to the apex of her thighs.

A part of her wants to miss him and his gentleness. A part of her does want to enjoy seeing him after weeks not going on a dinner dates and savour the sweet smell of the flowers he always brings with him. A part of her wants to believe that she can't bring herself to do all those things because of the distance that he set and the missing of thousands smiley emojis that used to embellished his texts.

But in the end, Erina knows things just don't feel right anymore between them, and Eishi understands what's coming when she calls him that afternoon and say, "We need to talk.".