58

58

- B L A I R E -

11.21.16 // 8:40 p.m.

T IS BREATHING heavily down my neck. His sweat is dripping onto my shoulder as I groggily flutter my eyes open. T is above me, trying hard to tie my hands behind my back, but his hands are trembling too much and he ends up dropping the ropes.

My cheek rubs against the soft fabric on his jacket and he smells strongly of stale coffee, old spice... and fire. He curses as he fails, again, at tying a knot. The rope is cutting painfully into my wrist as I begin to kick at his legs. T abruptly pulls away from me and it's then that I get a good look at his face.

His eyes are big and lost, his hair is sticking up, most likely from running his hands through it too many times, and his mouth is set into a hard frown. He looks so young, so lost and heartbroken. I almost felt bad.

Almost.

     "Just stay still, Rose, please. They are coming for us. I can't let that happen, my love, I can't," T says, his voice scratchy and hollowed out. He stares at me warily, as if it is the first time he is seeing me.

     "What's going on? What was the big boom sound? Who is coming for us?" I ask and T begins pacing around the room. He grabs one of his few flower vases that sat on his oak bureau and chucks it at the wall, the pieces flying off and scattering around the room.

      "Why do you ask so many questions? Just shut up for once, please," he begs as he falls to his knees and begins banging on the floor. His face turns red, his breathing speeds up, and he begins shaking violently. He tears his clothes and pulls at his hair as he lets out a ear-piercing, deafening cry that makes my eardrums pound. "They are coming for me."

     "Who?" I whisper.

He snaps his head towards me. His veins become prominent as they strain against his pale, glistening skin. I use my legs to push myself back until I am against the cold wall, as if it could somehow protect me. He stands up and slowly walks toward me with his stuttering kneecaps and shaking hands.

And then I hear it.

The sound of police sirens wailing far in the distance, mixing with the sound of the thunder and rain that continues to shake up the sky.

________________

thanks for reading! please vote and comment if you enjoyed! much love

-jayymckenziee