Eleven

“Oh.”

You blinked your eyes open to see your husband standing next to the couch. Shit, how long you’d been asleep for?

“I thought you would have at least got some more unpacking done this afternoon.”

Cricking your next and stretching out you legs, you felt annoyed. You could detect irritation in his voice and it grated on you.

“Well this afternoon was very stressful, I had a headache so I took a nap.”

“Stressful? Y/N you went phone shopping, I’d hardly call that stressful.”

Was every conversation going to be like this? You took a deep breath and told yourself to stay calm.

“No that wasn’t. But driving for the first time in years was as was getting stuck in the car park because two assholes can’t park. Even Luke struggled to get out.”

Spencer’s eyes narrowed and you saw something flash in them. “Luke?” His tone was the same but you recognised the clench of the jaw and sudden tension in his shoulders.

“Luke… Mr Alvez, Henry’s teacher. He was at your father’s funeral Spencer. He saw me struggling and helped me out of a tight spot. I’d have still been stuck there now otherwise.”

His shoulders relaxed and his jaw unclenched. “You could have called me, I would have come and helped.”

“No I couldn’t, the phone was barely charged and I had no idea how far away you were. Luke was there and he helped me out. I’m very thankful to him. But it all gave me a migraine, so I took a few painkillers and fell asleep. I’ll do some more unpacking tomorrow alright. Now,” you inhaled a deeply and pushed your hair back, reminding you yourself that you were trying here. “How was work, did you get everything done?”

Spencer looked suprised but whatever animosity was in his stare dropped. “Erm, I got a lot more done but I’ll probably have to go in over the weekend. I’ll need to sort my father’s study out at some point so I can use that when I’m home.”

“I can do it for you? Just tell me what needs to be done,” you offered.

“That would be…. helpful. Thank you.”

Your stomach rumbled and you looked at your husband hopefully. “Did you bring food?”

“Oh! Yes, it’s in the kitchen. I picked up a bottle of that red wine I know you like as well. Shall we go through to the kitchen and eat?”

You didn’t particularly like red wine, Spencer did. You were a white wine girl unless you had no option. But as you followed him through to the kitchen you could see it was the bottle that you found the least offensive so perhaps that counted towards something?

Maybe.

You ate dinner together in uncomfortable silence, wincing each time you took a sip of the red wine but refilling your glass all the same. You attempted to make conversation with Spencer, telling him about the tech shop girl Penelope, and asking him about his new position. He answered your questions, all the time watching your wine glass, not that you noticed. When you went for the second bottle he’d bought, having not even cleared your plate yet, he put his cutlery down.

“Is spending time with me that bad that you really need to get wasted?” he asked.

You weren’t drunk, only slightly tipsy. But his words sobered you somewhat.

“I’m not getting wasted,” you replied, still refilling your glass and then placing down the bottle. “You’ve been drinking too.”

“I’ve had maybe a glass and a half at most,” he pointed out and you realised that he was right. “Why do you drink so much?”