Chapter Nineteen: Aquamarine

Start from the beginning

Peter gently waved as Delphine crawled to the side to unlock his door. As she threw it open, making a big reveal of her Las Vegas levels of dress, Peter laughed so hard, the boy actually snorted. He covered his mouth and for a while, he sat crouched on the sidewalk, holding his side.

Delphine grinned like a cat, "My dear, I knew you'd love it."

"We're not worthy," Peter wiped a tear from his eye and climbed inside. "Thanks for the lift Eric."

Before Eric could answer, Delphine said, "Well, you're my plus one! Of course, we'd arrange something!" Peter nodded and took Delphine's hand. Eric could see it from his rearview mirror, the melancholy behind Peter's smile. Still not a match. It was odd that a guy like Peter could be without a match. He seemed like the type to have a line out the door of happy suitors.

James asked before the wedding if Frances needed a date, but Eric thought that was too cruel of a punishment for Peter, who had done nothing to deserve it. James admitted he didn't know what he was thinking. If only he always admitted to being wrong so easily all the time.

They drove straight to the Grand Mystic Hotel. Apparently, it was the most vampire friendly of all the hotels in the city. Oddly enough, Eric felt a connection towards this place. It was where he met James and Delphine. He first kissed James here. On those steps, they decided to call a truce and become friends.

Eric drove to the front, relinquishing his car to one of the valets. The steps were draped with a blue carpet and lit up by a mix of dozens of small candles and little bouquets of wild flowers. James slipped his arm around Eric's elbow, holding onto him. "Ready?"

With a nod, they all walked up to the Grand and inside, they found themselves in a sea of silver, blue and black cladded guests. From the ceiling, iridescent fake snowflakes hung from wires so thin, they appeared to be floating.

Servers dressed in silver uniforms passed around slim glasses of blood and champagne. The servers in blue offered tiny desserts. Almost immediately, Delphine and James started greeting old clients and friends. Eric also rubbed elbows with the Alphas he met during his last visit to the city.

It wasn't long until people began filing into the grand hall that had been transformed into a winter wonderland, the floor covered in freshly shaved fake snow. Specs of the flakes still fluttered from the ceiling. Small trimmed Christmas trees lined the walls, each with a small star on top. Between the white chairs, the aisle was covered in red rose petals that lead to the arches draped in a silver silky fabric and more roses. Behind it, a waterfall of twinkling lights fell from the ceiling to the floor.

Delphine released a quivering sigh. She said, "I love weddings."

They found their seats and Eric glanced at James. He was taking in the crowds and the space. He was wringing his hands as if he expected an incoming disaster. Eric smiled and nudged his date, gardening his attention. Eric whispered, "You did this. None of this would be possible without you."

James' nose flared as his eyes pricked with tears. "You suck," James laughed. "Weddings already make me cry and you have to say something so sweet."

"It's only the truth," Eric chuckled and draped his arm around James' shoulders.

James wasn't kidding. The ceremony started and almost simultaneously, Delphine and James whipped out matching handkerchiefs. Collin stood under the arches, beaming brighter than every single person in the room. Behind him, his brother Frances yawned. Frances eyed Eric in the crowd and motioned to Eric's arm around his mate. Frances pretended to gag. Luckily, he straightened up when the string of violins began to play the wedding march.