Separate Ways, Separate Missions

Start from the beginning

They may have been criminals, but I was a devil.

And a devil did not bow to her maker. She overthrew him. So doing exactly what he expected of me was not a prudent strategy. I'd comply with his wants and form my own counterattack. I'd be free one way or another, but at least this time, it'd be my  way.

Hearing their footsteps cease, I turned to look at them, meeting gazes with the blue one. His partner had already gone off toward a lonely shop a good ways away from the path. It smelt pleasingly sweet. The blue one motioned for me to follow, so I complied submissively.

It turned out to be a small, pastry shop of foreign food. I hadn't eaten anything sweet from this country yet, but my appetite had dwindled even lower. Elves didn't require as much sustenance as humans, but now I barely ate ever.

"Try it." He hadn't spoken since we left, but he now held out a stick loaded with three, steaming goodies toward me. I was about to refuse when I noticed his partner, Itachi, beginning his third stick.

A rare, never-before-seen expression of childishness displayed itself on the human's face. It was obvious he enjoyed the odd confectioneries. And the fact that these insignificant pastries could entice a hint of emotion from this otherwise vacant man had me curious, so I reluctantly accepted the blue man's offer.

I shied away from their intense gazes. They were - no doubt - trying to gauge my reaction as I sniffed the concoction. It smelled rather delicious, quite like a steaming sugar doughnut hole. I popped my mouth over the top ball, almost melting in sensational satisfaction. I may not have been a sweet enthusiast, but this particular goodie was damn good.

It warmed my cheeks and clouded my mind, intoxicating me in a false yet pleasing happiness. Before I knew it, I was taking the second into my mouth, shutting my eyes and focusing only on the sweetness of such a sinful creation. But all distractions must end, and once the last ball had been devoured, I found myself falling from cloud nine.

"Hah, a nice reaction indeed." The blue one, Kisame, mocked my fallen happiness, teasing me as he bit into another. He then furrowed his brow in confusion. "Your eyes," he motioned toward my face, "why do they change color? Is it a kekkei genkai?"

His question startled me into silence. The color of my eyes responded to my emotions, and it was an inexorable trait. But the magic-binding ribbons around my wrists should have prevented that. They must not have been of high grade.

So I could easily use novice magic, which was enough to slip away from these criminals. It was like Vipirus was tempting me. And it made me even angrier.

I suspected it showed in my eyes, for Kisame stiffened, as did Itachi.

Keeping my anger in check by replacing it with annoyance – an emotion expressed by a green color – I exhaled a tired breath, relaxing my tense shoulders. This seemed to bring ease back among us, and the other two settled.

"Mind me having another?" I mumbled lowly, averting my gaze from the company. I could practically smell the satisfaction from the blue human. It was when a stick appeared in front of me, not handed over by Kisame, that I looked up. Itachi had begrudgingly relinquished the last one, a grumpy look about his face.

At any other time, under any other circumstances, I would have chuckled at the childishness, but the darkness swallowing me simply wouldn't allow it. Instead, I accepted the stick and only ate one, letting Itachi finish the rest. He'd seemed surprised and reluctant at first, but after watching my touchy mood, he thankfully accepted.

I'd found it. And to my dismay, the dragon seemed to be of the water element, for it's foreign and highly fading presence sparked most vividly below the surface of a very calm, lengthy lake. My biggest weakness was water. And I would have to find its lair before even being able to have a chance at taming it.

My abrupt halt took the criminals by surprise, but they stood to the side in wait for my explanation. Throughout the journey, I could sense their uneasiness and suspiciousness. Would she try and revolt? Was she even leading us to a dragon, or was she wasting all of our time? I knew these questions had at least flitted through their minds at one time or another.

The real question was did I tame a dragon for a beast or kill myself and end it all here? I had learned how to connect with the beasts in order to help them. I'd be damned if I was to allow Vipirus to use that redeeming quality against me.

My father was nothing to me. My mother was dead. I'd killed my younger siblings and hadn't seen Brother since Mother's death. My kingdom most likely didn't miss me. After all, I'd killed thousands of elves regardless of their affiliations. They probably rejoiced in my absence.

My only friends hadn't seen me since before those dark times. They'd probably forsaken me as well. After all, they hadn't seemed to come after me when I ran away.

Who was I forgetting? The funny thing about forgetting people was that remembering them was like trying to grab something intangible. With no one else to live for but myself, why would I deny a chance for happiness? Why should I selfishly hold on to my life when it seemed as if I was only here for evil? Dying would do more good than living. And being selfless was a trait I wished to exercise.

So as slowly and as naturally as possible, I treaded into the shallows of the lake, sensing no unease in the criminals' demeanors. What a fitting way for a fire elf to breath her last breath: amidst the tender caress of nature's tears. The bonds around my wrists allowed tiny stores of magic to slither through my system. It'd be enough to maintain the form of a small dagger for an adequate amount of time.

My weary eyes watched thirstily the fiery hues of the setting sun burst through the mountains and cascade over the mirror-like surface of the lake, as if to soak up one last memory. It was as if the fire was sent to consume me or maybe even stop me. Fire, after all, was a trait of my maniac of a father, and without me, he'd have no way to feed his insatiable appetite for insanity. No matter the meaning, the pulchritudinous image took my breath away.

Along with the dagger plunging toward my stomach, that is.

At long last, a vicious darkness consumed the picturesque view, dousing out the flames of water. And at long last, my years of running came to an end.

It was the least I could do to protect my friends. . . the ones I could finally remember but no longer grasp.