Chapter nine - The battle

Running. Our speed increasing, our hands intertwined, our goals far away. Fearing. Hoping. Running.

With an incredible speed we avoided the trees without letting go of each other's hands. We were one – one goal, one mind, one body gracefully making its way through the forest, avoiding trees, jumping over rivers. We ran until I heard a high shriek that scared me. I stopped immediately, causing Legolas, who held my hand but kept running, to fall. He struggled up and looked at me. 'What is wrong?' He asked. 'Shhh, listen.' I answered. And there it was. The scream of despair itself. The helplessness of a living creature perfectly shown in one scream, piercing through my entire being and making me feel its pain. My heart wanted to scream along with the cry so desperately, but my mind kept me from making any sound. We both recognized the scream and Legolas looked at me with a mix of worries and relief at the same time. Yes, he was still alive, and yes, we had finally found him, but he was in pain and that hurt me. The scream in terror came out of one boy's mouth: Herdith.

'There he is.' Legolas said and moved some branches so I could see him too. Although the sun had hidden herself away from the eyes that turned to the sky, I could still see Herdith in the darkness. His blue eyes shone so bright that it seemed to give more light than the moon in the night sky. I was happy to have found him, but I realised that the battle that would follow was going to be difficult when I saw all those Orcs and doubt became dominant over my relief.

Herdith was bound to a tree high above the ground. Especially his hands were bound to the tree in a way that prevented him to make even the smallest movement with his fingers. The rest of his body was bound too, but less than his hands and arms. He hung there, high above the Orcs who were busy chopping wood for their fire to shield them from the cold of the night. Legolas whispered to me. 'Listen to me. I distract those Orcs while you get Herdith out of the tree. Do it quickly but let him know that you are worth trusting. Take him with you and wait in the bushes. I will run to the bushes when you are there and we will outun them with our speed. Understood?' I nodded.

'At least,' he said, 'we will outrun them with our speed if I have not killed them all.' He rose and stroke over his bow. 'Be careful, do not get noticed.' He told me and ran through the bushes until he was behind the Orcs. From behind the shield that the bushes gave him, he started to shoot his arrows at the creatures, killing a few. Of course did the Orcs notice that something was wrong when their 'friends' were falling in the fire because of the shot in their neck, head or heart. Dead. The living Orcs looked behind them and that was the moment when Legolas jumped out of the bushes and started to fight with two swords, one in each hand.

And I ran to the tree where Herdith was bound on. I ran silently, though no Orc would notice me anyway since they were too busy defending their lives. 'Herdith?' I whispered. Even though I only whispered, he had heard me and the troubled eyes of the young boy searched the ground and found me. He smiled. 'You, I know you. Are you rescuing me?'He asked. I nodded and placed my finger on my lips as a sign. He understood it and kept quiet. Then I placed my hands on the tree and started to climb up, but it was impossible for me to reach Herdith. The tree was slippery, as if the slime of the Trolls was on it, and it made me fall down every time I tried to climb higher. I just couldn't reach Herdith. He looked at me trying and closed his eyes. He too knew my attempts were fruitless.

But then I got an idea.

'Maethorion!' I whispered. The bird heard me and flew towards me. 'Listen little bird. Go to the Herdith and cut the ropes with your beak. Start with the ropes around his hands so he can free himself too.' Then I turned my head to face the little boy in the tree. 'You must not worry: I will catch you when you are freed of your ropes and fall.' I reassured him. The bird flew to Herdith and he started to cut the ropes. It was difficult for a small bird like him, but he really did his best and slowly progress was made. Herdith's hands were free.