Chapter four - red like blood

'Aquafilius, any idea what it means?' Legolas asked me while we ran through the valley into the direction Herdith, the man's son, had disappeared. 'Yes, it's Latin. Aqua means water and filius means son so that makes waterson.' I said. Legolas chuckled. 'What about son of the water?' I smiled back at him. 'Yes, that seems a bit more logical to me. Did you see his eyes? Though his hair was black, just like his father, he had blue eyes like the clearest ocean while his father had brown eyes like a deer.'

'Yes, I noticed them too. It was an extraordinary colour, I agree. Maybe that's why the Wizard called him waterson.' He said. 'Son of the water.' I corrected him with a smirk. 'But what would it mean? His father told us he had powers, what kind of powers? Where is he and why do the Orcs want him?' I asked though I knew Legolas couldn't give me the answer either.

He gazed into the distance. 'We have to hurry: we're losing them.' So we increased our speed towards the Orcs and the little boy. The bag with food and water made a sound every time it hit my back as I ran and I got annoyed by it. But there was no time for stopping nor time for feeling annoyed, we needed to catch on Herdith. Though I was getting tired and my legs were getting weak, I continues and did my best to keep up with Legolas's speed.

'Come on! We're losing them!' Legolas shouted. I was meters behind him but I couldn't run any harder. 'Wait, I can't!' I shouted back. Feeling energiless and weary, I knew I wasn't going to keep this speed for long. The bag on my back felt like it was filled with rocks and it pushed me to the ground. My legs hurt and declined to carry my weight any longer so I allowed my body to stop and fell down on the stones that made an unconforable path. My knees bled because of the sharp stones but the pain in my knees was less painful than my legs when I tried to stand up again. Legolas became smaller and smaller in the distance. I couldn't stay here, he was right: we will lose him if we weren't fast enough. And I wasn't fast enough.

But I rose. I commanded my hurting legs to carry my weight and straightened my sore back. My eyes searched the distance for a shorter way to Legolas. A flat yellow landscape was pierced by a forest with high green trees and mountains. I saw Legolas, he had stopped too and looked at me through the distance. He then turned and ran further. I saw where he was running to and felt fear spread to my body. I started running, moving my sore limbs towards Legolas as fast as I could. I had to reach him in time – he should not run any further. He wasn't aware of the danger he was running to. 'Legolas!' I shouted. 'Stop!' But he didn't stop. He only seemed to run faster towards the highest mountain that coloured a bright scarlet as if it was covered in blood. Legolas wasn't aware of the monsters that lived there. The monsters that could easily kill him.

I started to panic since I didn't know what to do to get to Legolas in time. I lost faith in my success and looked around helplessly. 'Someone! Anybody here?' I cried out, hoping that there was someone who could help me. Nobody. No living soul around me, only Legolas in the distance and a Human and group of Orcs meters before him. But, suddenly, a beautiful white animal made its way towards me. A bright smile decorated my face as I recognised the creature: Shadowfax.

Shadowfax neighed happily when it reached me and I quickly climbed up the wonderful horse. 'Gandalf sent you, didn't he?' I smiled and looked up when I whispered a 'thank you' to my dear Gandalf. Then I bowed over the precious white neck of the horse and whispered in his ear: 'Run, my dear Shadowfax. Show us the meaning of haste.' And the horse started running. Neither Human, Elf nor Dragon could ever top this speed. I reached Legolas who looked at me with an astonished complexion on his face. 'Hop on.' I smiled and, with a flexible movement, Legolas climbed behind me. 'We can't go to that mountain.' I said and pointed at the mountain of blood. 'It is believed to be inhabited by fearsome creatures.' I said. Legolas nodded. 'Shadowfax, go to that red mountain in the distance.' He said and Shadowfax obeyed. 'What? Didn't I just tell you that-' Legolas turned his head to me and cut me off. 'Don't you understand? We must go that way. Herdith is brought to that mountain so we must follow him.' He said it while he looked at me with a look in his eyes I couldn't quite place. 'So we go that way.' He turned his head again but I saw the fear in his eyes.

Shadowfax stopped in front of the mountain. 'Our friend will not follow us on our uphill climb.' Legolas said and petted the horse. He whispered a 'thank you' to him and the horse walked away with a peaceful glow surrounding him.

'You weren't fast enough so you needed Shadowfax to keep up with my speed.' Legolas said with a smirk on his face as we climbed up the mountain piece by piece. 'No, Shadowfax came and he offered to help me.' I said. 'I could have easily outrun you, fairytale prince.' I said and smirked at him. 'No, you couldn't.' He muttered and grinned. The stones we walked on were small and sometimes they moved when we placed our feet on them. The movement of the scarlet stones that made a path on the mountain, caused the way to be dangerous for us. One could easily lose one's balance and fall down, cutting his skin while he fell. I looked down and saw the height we had already climbed. It was noting compared to the path that lied in front of us. The sharpness of the stones and their sickening colour brought fear into my heart and I stared at them as I carefully placed my weight on one foot. The stone where I stood on moved and I lost my balance. For a moment I thought I was going to fall but long fingers wrapped around my wrist and pushed me on my feet again. 'Careful!' Legolas said and pushed me close to him. I leaned completely on my hero. 'I don't want you to fall.' He whispered in my ear and made me walk in front of him so he could catch me if I would fall again. He held my hand in his while we climbed up the mountain. Sometimes, I felt him squeeze in my hand when I seemed to lose my hope. And, so now and then, when I turned my head, I met his eyes that shone protectively. Protectively over me.

When we reached the top of the mountain that was covered with a forest consistent of red trees, I was surprised that we had not seen any monsters yet. Maybe were the myths I heard over this mountain only myths. I hoped so. Because we heard that the Orcs were resting (snoring Orcs are not difficult to hear, either difficult to ignore), me and Legolas decided to rest too. We couldn't sneak up to the Orcs to save Herdith since we were too tired to move. Some rest would do us good. I let Legolas sleep. Of course I told him that I would wake him when I felt sleepy, but he slept so peacefully which made it impossible for me to wake such sleeping beauty. I stayed awake and watched Legolas. How his chest moved up and down when he breathed and how his lips slightly curled up when I stroke my fingers over his cheek. It must have tickled him. I found his smile so adorable, that I kept making him grin until I heard a strange sound. I looked around.

Nothing.

Great.

But little did I know that the eyes I had mistaken for spots on trees, were actually eyes that stared at us and observed our every move. Little did I know that the whispering I had mistaken for birdsong, were actually whispers of creatures that discussed how to hurt us. Little did I know about the hidden fearsome creatures that were waiting...

waiting for the opportune moment.

Waiting to strike.

Waiting to kill.

A/N

Hey there!

The picture above, of course, is Shadowfax. And sorry for the sudden Latin in Middle-Earth. I know it makes no sense, but I couldn't find anything better. I hope it doesn't bother you! Sorry!

Thank you for reading, it means a lot to me! I really, really hope you like it so far and I promise it will get better! Please vote and comment; let me know what you think of it and smile: it looks good on you!

Galu!

-MS