Chapter five - a small warrior

In fear of waking the sleeping beauty, I could only touch the end of his long white locks that lay spread over the bag that served as a pillow instead of running my hand through his hair. I knew he was a light sleeper, just as well as I knew he needed some sleep after the difficult day that had made him so weary. But I knew that the moment would come that he had to leave his peaceful slumber and open his eyes so we could resume our chase. I feared that moment, I hated that moment. I wished that I could just stay here, watching a sleeping Legolas peacefully rest while I gently stroke over his hair. How beautiful can a moment be? One beautiful moment surrounded by ugliness where hatred itself hid in. I still wasn't aware of the monsters that lurked around us. For me there was just me and Legolas.

But then he opened his gorgeous eyes and looked at me. At first, his eyes gleamed with a loving gaze as he watched me. He smiled sweetly and whispered. 'Good morning, my darling.' I smiled back at him. 'Good morning, sleeping beauty.' I chuckled foolishly and he joined me. But then his eyes became serious. 'We got to go, do we not?' he asked and I nodded. Suddenly he jumped up. 'You were suppost to wake me!' he said. 'I wanted you to rest. You deserved it, Legolas, you were so tired.' I protested. He took my face in his hands. His gesture confused me but it also brought a wave of happiness with it that washed over me. His touch was soft, his fingers like velvet as they cupped my face. He stared at me. 'It's really sweet, but you had to rest too.' I nodded slightly.

'How are you?' He asked me after a while, my face still captured in his hands. 'Besides frightened and confused, fine.' I said and managed a smile. 'I am confused too; this Herdith seems to be very important but I cannot understand why. But do not fret; I am here with you, you know that.' He said and I nodded again. Then he did something that confused me most of all. His face came really close to mine and for a moment I thought, and secretly hoped, he was going to kiss me. But instead he stayed an inch away and smiled again. 'I will always be here for you, I hope you will remember that.' I was mesmerized by his shining eyes, but he broke my hypnotised when his smile became brighter and said: 'Well, let's hunt some Orc.' He walked away from me and stroke over his bow as if it was made of gold. I nodded and search in the bag before I handed him some food to make him stronger. I had already eaten. When he was finished, I walked next to him, towards the Orcs that started to leave as well. I smiled at Legolas who no longer looked weary. 'Alright, let's kick some Orcs' ass, shall we?'

And so we strolled around the red forest, following the Orcs' signs in the muddy ground and their terrible smell in the air. 'To be honest,' Legolas said to break the silence, 'I think I saw Herdith's eyes in my dream this night.' I looked surprised at him. 'Really?' I asked and raised one eyebrow. 'Yes, and I heard his voice. He asked me if we had good intentions or not. Of course I told him that we wanted the best for him.'

'How odd that he can contact you in your dream. What is this kid? Do you think he's a Wizard?' I asked and Legolas nodded. 'He must have some kind of magic to contact me in my dreams. But those eyes, they haunt me.' He admitted. 'At least they did.'

I briefly turned my head to look at him. 'They did? What made them stop haunting you?'

And softly, almost too soft to hear, he muttered. 'Your eyes.'

'What did you say? Mine?' I looked at him with a questioning face and saw his cheeks gaining some blush. That made me smile. 'Awww, Legolas. You're blushing!' I said and touched his rosy cheek.'

He turned his head. 'I felt that too.' He said. 'What?' I asked him. 'A touch like that on my cheek. It tickled. Odd, right? Why would Herdith make me feel that?' He asked. 'I don't know, Legolas.' I said but smiled because I knew who was responsible for that tickling touch.