Chapter one - dangerous guests

The many little flowers all danced in the wind that happily played with my hair and the leaves that hung from the trees. It was quiet and peaceful in this spot of the forest, the beautiful place I called my home. It was, and as far as I know still is, named the Mirkwood forest. All trespassers who came to Mirkwood always used the sick part of the woods, the beautiful parts of the forest were unknown to anyone who didn't call it their home.

Softly, a song of the birds started to play and the symphony became even more beautiful when the wind and the falling water from a small waterfall started to sing along with the birds. And without me actually noticing it, I hummed along with the sounds. We all made a beautiful song, many creatures in the forest sang along. It was a song of hope and peace, of freedom and love. It calmed me down and made the beauty of this forest even clearer. And even when a voice disturbed the rhythm once, it resumed and played even more wonderfully. 'I knew I would find you here.' The voice said. It was soft, as if it had not had the intention to disturb the symphony yet is was so beautiful that the song would not have been complete without it. I turned around and saw him smiling at me. 'Legolas, what a surprise.' I said, whispering too. Legolas did not ask why my voice was that soft, he seemed to have noticed the song too. I had always thought I was the only one who could hear it, but Legolas also did. He hummed along with the birds for a while, and I felt a sudden strong urge to close my eyes so I could feel the symphony better. I closed my eyes, but I regretted it quickly and opened my eyes to look at Legolas. Not seeing him made the symphony sound ugly, so I observed him while he softly hummed.

He did not look at me, his eyes were focussed on the little rays of sunlight that had made their way through the green leave roof and now fell on the ground where a little squirrel adorably danced with the softest tail swinging along. He looked at the sun, at the wise old oak tree and little waterfall with its clear water. But the squirrel's tail wasn't as soft as the Elven Prince's skin. The Oak tree wasn't as wise as the Elven Prince's words that had fallen out of his soft lips. The waterfall wasn't as clear as the Elven Prince's shining eyes that shone brighter than the ray of light in the forest. His hair hung loose and reached his chest, but the front few locks were bound in braids to keep it out of his face. And how the wind caressed his blond almost white locks of hair was far more interesting to me than the way than the wind moved the leaves. Because of the braids, I could now see his pointy ears and smiled at the sight. I fought the urge to place a kiss on the edge of them and looked away. But my eyes found him again. This time they moved down to his straight jawline that stood for his strength and courage which I knew he had plenty of. But although he looked fierce and strong, his eyes proved the kindness and affection, the love and hope that inhabited his heart. I just hoped that somewhere, in that big heart which I adored so much, I could find myself.

'It is beautiful, is it not?' He asked me. 'Yes, I agree.' I knew he meant the symphony and I agreed on that, but he wrapped himself in beauty and that was at least as beautiful or even more breathtaking. 'I am glad that I have found you here.' He said. 'Really? Why? I thought you were escaping from your father, I've heard you had a fight. Or have you been looking for me?' I asked while the symphony continued with its beautiful sound. 'Yes, actually I have. But do not ask me why for the reason is also a mystery to me.' He said and looked away from the world around him and fixed his eyes on me. They seemed to pierce through my soul. His eyes were so bright, that at first I wanted to look away since it was as if I was gazing into the bright light of the sun, but I stared back and found a look in his eyes that I could not quite place. 'Shall we walk together?' He asked me and I nodded.

We hiked through the forest, both not making any sound at all since the dead branches did not crack underneath out feet. We walked slowly, enjoying each other's company and the world around us in a silence that spoke a hundred words. And although I did not want to disturb our silence, I felt a question burning in myself and I feared that, if I did not ask it now, it would burn me for eternity. So I started, my voice like a whisper. 'L-legolas?' I stuttered. 'Yes? What is wrong? Why do you stutter?' He asked and turned his head to look at me for a brief but enchanting moment. 'N-nothing of real importance, but I was just wondering why you waste your time with me. Why be here with me? Should you not be with Malathiel?' I asked and felt jealousy like a killing poison flowing through my veins, spreading quickly, while I though of Legolas and that young and beautiful Elven maiden. I had often seen them together, and every time I saw her smiling at him with her dead eyes, every time I saw him smiling back at her with his fair eyes, it felt as if I had drunk a cup of bitter poison. And it was a draught that would kill me soon. 'Malathiel? Why do you think I should spend my time with her?' He asked me and looked at me in confusion. 'I don't know, but you spend a lot of time around her so I thought...' I stopped talking and regretted my question. I rather had the question burning me from inside than this look on his face, knowing I had caused it. 'So you thought what?' He asked. 'I am sorry, never mind. I should not have questioned a decision of the royal family.' I said and stared at the dead branches on the ground. But he made me look at him. 'We have talked about this. You promised you would never treat me like that a long time ago. How many times do I have to say it before you understand?' He asked. 'At least once more.' I answered. He smiled at me. 'Hmm, I feel as if I have heard that before. But when?' He said and grinned, I laughed along since we both knew I answered 'at least once more' every time when this subject was discussed.