Chapter 10

A/N: Some parts of this are really bad, some parts are good. But either way, BUCKLE TF UP CHILDREN SHIT'S GONNA GET REAL

Zephrine stood outside the Great Hall, nervously playing with her hair, which had been braided into a circle on the back of her head, leaving a third of it down. Her lips were a nice dusty pink color and her eyes were powdered with a snowy white that matched her dress, which then faded into a gold on the outer corners. She had insisted on wearing the wolf claw necklace she stole from Eetu, despite protests from Ovi and Vana.

"And last but not least, Lady Zephrine of Ithia!" King Leon's voice entered the hallway, and Zephrine's feet moved almost automatically. She held Xavier's gift close to her chest, head held high as every eye turned to her.

She heard whispers and tried her best to tune them out, until she heard Xavier.

"Wow." Was all he could say. Xavier's mouth was agape, and he looked about ready to fall out of his chair. Vana sat two seats to the left of him, leaving the only empty chair, the one immediately to the left, for Zephrine.

The Quillsnakes stood as Zephrine approached the head table.

"My Lords and Lady." She curtsied for almost the hundredth time since she had arrived to Viâna.

"My Lady." They chorused back.

"For you, Prince Xavier." She set the little box in front of Xavier, who was still dumbstruck, barely moving.

"Thank you, my Lady." Xavier regained his composure, but just barely. He gently lifted the lid, picking up the small bear. "It's beautiful." Instead of returning it to the box, Xavier made a point or looping it around his neck the instant he got it, despite King Leon's obvious discomfort.

Zephrine smiled as she walked around the table, sitting next to Xavier, who placed a light kiss on her forehead in front of all the guests, which only caused more whispers.

"Save me a dance? Figured I'd ask before all the competition." Xavier whispered.

"There's no competition, sire." Zephrine chuckled.

"Believe me, there's at least six men out there who would be clamoring over themselves to dance with you."

"Let them clamor." Zephrine took Xavier's hand under the table.

"Friends!" King Leon stood, spreading his arms out wide. "Thank you all for coming to celebrate my son's twenty-first birthday!"

The crowd erupted into applause, with Vana and Zephrine clapping mildly.

"My son has been the greatest gift that anyone could have ever given me. Xavier, my boy, would you please stand?"

Xavier shot Zephrine a flirtatious glance as he rose, still holding Zephrine's hand.

"First off, I want to thank everyone here for coming," Xavier's voice was more regal than ever, "especially Lady Zephrine."

"I wouldn't have missed it for the world." Zephrine was taken aback as Xavier kissed her hand. She now understood why he almost fell over when she entered, because, as she watched him address the crowd, thanking everyone so sincerely, her heart raced so fast, she wasn't even sure it was beating anymore.

"Normally, we would eat before dancing, but Xavier, what would you like to do?" Queen Ennis now stood.

"As much as I'd love to honor tradition," Xavier suddenly turned to Zephrine, hand still in hers, "may I have this dance?"

Zephrine was gently pulled to her feet, "Do you even have to ask, my Lord?" Her response earned her a few whistles and whoops from the crowd.

The music swelled as the people cleared, allowing the two a clear path to the floor.

"You're beautiful." Xavier finally spoke as the civilians joined in the dance.

"Does that mean you admit defeat?" Zephrine grinned slightly, adjusting Xavier's bear necklace so it was straight again.

"Nope. Nope. You'll have to try harder." Xavier's face twisted as if he was in pain as he just kept staring at Zephrine.

"You look like you soiled yourself."

"And you look like a goddess."

"You meant to come up with a witty remark?"

"Maybe." Xavier twirled her around only to draw her in closer to him. "Do you want to take a walk?"

"You'll miss your ball."

"I've had twenty of them. I'll have dozens more. I can afford to miss one."

"How do we slip out?"

"Like this." Xavier took Zephrine by the hand and weaved in and out of the people until they reached the square.

"Well, that was easier than expected." Zephier laughed with Xavier as they danced under the moonlight, with the music carrying all the way into the square. "You brought me all the way out here to dance?"

"We can move around freely here." Xavier smiled, letting his hair fall straight into his face.

Zephrine stopped dancing to push it back, cupping his face in her hands, pulling it in toward her. The tips of their noses were barely touching, she could see every stroke of brown, orange, red, and a small hint of yellow in Xavier's irises. His pupils dilated, widening to the point where the iris was barely visible.

"You look just like a moonstone." Xavier whispered, and Zephrine felt his breath against her lips.

"Do I now?" Zephrine's eyes cast down, then found their way back to Xavier's.

Then, just before their lips touched, the music stopped, screams ripped through the air, and Xavier was violently pushed to the ground.