Chapter 8

A/N: pristine_trash thank you so much for this drawing of Rhys!! He's so cute and I love him so much. I just had to show him off, I love this style! Ugh, he's just so beautiful!! Thanks again to pristine_trash

 I just had to show him off, I love this style! Ugh, he's just so beautiful!! Thanks again to pristine_trash

Zephrine ran her finger up the string of Xavier's present. Rhys had told her to get him a small wooden bear, which was then put on a string, for use as a necklace. All she needed now was Ovi's help with hair and makeup, and she was certain Xavier would trip over himself at the ball.

Rhys had been acting strange, though. He would bristle like a cat whenever Vana would get close to Zephrine, but wouldn't say anything. It was hard to chalk it up to anything, though, so she simply decided to ignore it.

She gently placed the bear in the little wooden box she bought for it, stuffing it into Rhys's coat pocket when they reached the square.

Xavier was talking to a group of knights when they arrived, laughing away. Zephrine stood to the side of Rhys, hiding behind him as they entered the castle.

"You can take the gift now." Rhys's eyes were stormy, a look he got when he was contemplating big decisions.

"Are you alright?"

"Zeph, listen-" He leaned in and whispered, only to be cut off by Vana.

"Rhys, are you alright?"

"I'm fantastic." He said through clenched teeth. "You know what, Zeph, never mind."

"Are you sure?" Zephrine looked her brother up and down. She'd seen him try to keep quiet before, but never to this extreme.

"Vana!" King Leon burst out of the Great Hall. "There you are. We've been looking all over for you."

"We're sorry, my Lord," Zephrine curtsied as best she could holding a dress and a box, "we took Vana out with us into the citadel."

"That's for Xavier?" King Leon gestured to the wooden box.

"Uh, yeah." Zephrine fumbled with it for a second, then held it out to the king.

"He'll like this." King Leon handed it back, with a wide smile. "Vana, would you care to join us for dinner?" 

"Duty calls." Vana rolled her eyes playfully, causing Rhys to purse his lips and ball his hands up. "Thank you both for a lovely afternoon."

"Of course, my Lady." Rhys's voice was about as soft as a stone pillar. Once Vana and King Leon disappeared into the Great Hall, Rhys grabbed Zephrine's hand and carefully led her into his chambers.

"What are you doing?" She asked as he practically did a flying leap onto a ladder, grabbing a massive book and blowing the dust off it.

"I can't tell you why, but I don't trust Vana." Rhys thrust a heavy leather bound book into Zephrine's hands. "Just take this, study it, I've marked all the important ones. I just hope you never need to use them."

"Rhys, is this a spellbook?" Zephrine ran her finger along the spine before opening it. "Breaking metal? When would I need this?"

"That's just it. I hope you don't, but I think you will. Listen, if anything happens tomorrow night, you are to grab Xavier and run. Don't come back for me, for Caius, for Mother, for anyone."

"What are you talking about? You're not making any sense."

"I can't tell you." Rhys shook as tears began to fall. "Just trust me. Promise me, if anything goes wrong, you and Xavier will get out of Viâna. Take a few horses if you have time, just leave."

"Okay, I... promise." Zephrine held the book close to her chest.

"Go back to your quarters, hide this, don't let Vana see it." Rhys practically pushed Zephrine out of the door.

Zephrine, as confused as she was, obeyed, running up the stairs and into her room, setting the dress and gift on the bed, debating where the best place for the book would be. She eventually stuffed it behind the curtains to her window, standing it straight up until it blended into the wall so well, it was impossible to tell it was there.

Whatever was happening, it must have been getting increasingly worse. Nothing made Rhys cry like that. Zephrine paced around the room as this thought occurred to her.

That night, Zephrine did as she was told, and studied each spell until the sun found its way through her window.