T W E N T Y E I G H T

edited

It's late in the afternoon and the rest of us laze around the house. It mostly consists of me stealing a whole pack of Zooper Doopers from the freezer and bringing it hastily with me up to my room, covering it up with an oversized old uni jumper. I lock the door afterwards to ensure that nobody will come in.

It's weird, isn't it? Eating a bunch of icy-poles in such icy weather. Well, being the smart-ass person I am, I turn on my electric blanket into full blast and I bask in its warmth as I watch the tv, licking a Raspberry Rocket flavoured Zooper Dooper. The only thing that keeps me off mum, at least.

When I get comfy, I realise that I have left my phone downstairs on the kitchen tables. I reluctantly roll out of my bed and hop down to get it. Something catches my eye when I pass my wardrobe. A piece of paper is sticking out of my white jeans, crumpled and slightly ripped.

I fish it out of the pocket. The note that I found in the hotel. Still in Norwegian in small, slightly messy handwriting.

Figuring that it would be more effective if I translated it with my phone, I hurry down to get it and head back upstairs. I pause an episode of 13 Reasons Why just to make time to translate it.

I almost drop my phone when I read the result of the translation.

'I should have known. Martinus has kept a close eye on Sera. I don't know if it's just me or that he has feelings for her because if he does I don't want to hurt his feelings when I say I might feel the same thing as him for Sera. Then again, Martinus has always kept a close eye on everyone he meets. I don't know what to do. Oh hell why am I writing this?'

This is a very big plot twist. A very big plot twist indeed. Marcus Gunnarsen? Who would have known that he-

"Sera!"

I quickly hide my stash of Zooper Doopers under my pillow along with the note and casually continue on watching the tv. Soon, I hear a knock on my door.

"Sera! There's someone at the door, I'm busy, can you get it?" Athena's voice comes through it.

I groan, "why me? Why can't you do it?"

"I'm doing final checks for tomorrow, Sera, hurry up."

With a very much noticeable roll of my eyes, I jog down stairs to the front doors.

"Hi, how could I help-"

"Serafina."

A man stands in front of me. He has a strong build, his blue eyes sharp and piercing. He has strikingly similar hair colour as me: dirty blonde. He looks important and doesn't let people waste his time.

His presence surprise me, I don't say anything when he says my name.

"Serafina Hildebrand, yes?" he asks, "is that a way to greet your dad?"

I throw him a disgusted look. "What are you doing here?"

His 'cold-snappy dude' facade falls off, revealing a worried look. "I heard what happened to Gia."

"You have nothing to do with mum," I snap, "you never had since you left us five years ago."

The man I used to call 'dad' is left speechless.

"If you'd excuse me, I have other things to care of like-"

"-eating a whole pack of Zooper Doopers in your room and watching tv, yes I know, Sera." Dad interrupts me quickly. I am left shocked.

"Don't call me Sera." I hiss. Mum, forgive me. I know you wouldn't want me to act like this to dad, but I have the need to. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.