T W E N T Y S E V E N

edited

I can't sleep. Every time I try to close my eyes, they would automatically spring right back open. The feeling of knowing that Max is sleeping on the couch downstairs comfort me a little. I know that I have someone to comfort me when I wake up.

I glance at my phone which is sitting on top of my bedside table. The screen turning on and off because of the notifications coming through it. I reach out to grab it and look at the clock. It should be noon in Norway right now, so I look for Martinus' name.

I need someone to talk to. I can't keep holding what I am feeling in, I fear I might burst into little pieces if I don't let it out.

The phone rings, but Martinus doesn't pick up. My eyes squint and my brows furrow. Pick up, pick up, pick up.

No matter how many times I try, his phone goes straight into voicemail. I leave him some, saying that I really need to talk to somebody because I can't pile everything in my mind and put pressure on myself. Especially when I have my shows next week.

I decide to ring Marcus to see if he has any idea what Martinus is up to. The reason why I prefer talking to Martinus is that I somehow feel more - comfortable? - with him. I feel like he's not going to say anything disturbing if I tell him things that I feel very serious about and that he doesn't spread word around.

"Marcus?"

"Sera? How are you?" his voice sounds distant and a little bit rough on the phone. "How is your mum?"

I bite my lip. So hard I can taste blood. "I'm alright. Not too good, but not too bad either."

"That's great!" I wish I am that happy right now, being upset is very unhealthy so says the psychologist that Athena used to go to.

"Why do you call? Do you need anything?" Marcus asks with sincerity. I hold my breath.

"Yes, actually," I say in a quiet voice. "Can you do me a favour?"

"Anything for you, Sera."

I cough. "Can you check what Martinus is doing right now? But don't make it look like you're checking. Sit down in front of him or something."

"Alright, I can do that," Marcus says and I hear shifting from the other side of the line.

I wait for a moment, then Marcus' familiar voice comes back on. "He's playing on his phone right now. I'm in the kitchen, I just went past him."

My heart cracks a little. Why wasn't he picking up then if he was playing on his phone? I fall silent hearing this.

"Sera? Are you okay?"

"What - yeah," I say when I hear Marcus.

"Do you need anything else, then?" Marcus asks me. I think about that for a second.

"Yes," I say. Marcus hums.

"Can you look at what Martinus does when I try to call him?" I ask, "he's been ignoring all my calls and I've left him with a lot of voicemail. I don't understand why he isn't picking up"

Marcus mutters an alright and we hang up. I try to call Martinus again but I don't put my phone next to my ear. It's useless, he'd never pick up anyways.

I was right. He doesn't pick up, it goes into another voicemail and I almost throw my phone on the ground.

I sigh and call Marcus right back. Unlike his twin, Marcus picks up on the first ring.

"What did he do?" I ask him. Marcus pauses for a bit.

"He left it ringing," Marcus explained. I lick my lips. "He had an annoyed look on his face and he rolled his freaking eyes."