Prologue I: Shisui's Death

Start from the beginning

With clenched teeth and tearful eyes, Akira cupped Shisui's face and caressed it gently. She was definitely going to miss him. He was one of her very few treasured friends.

In the middle of stifled cries, her hand caught something that immediately bothered her. She looked at Shisui's closed eyelids and was surprised to feel that both of his eyes were missing.

***

As soon as they left the hospital, Akira discussed her findings with Itachi. It was still raining outside and, luckily, the young Uchiha brought an umbrella.

"His eyes aren't with him," she stated.

Itachi turned to her, a bit surprised. It was the first time that someone actually noticed that it was missing, instead of destroyed. Even the medical team assumed it was the latter idea.

He decided to feign ignorance. "Really?"

"You didn't know?!" she exclaimed. "It's obvious that someone took it!"

"He jumped of a cliff," he tried to reason out. "Maybe it got crushed when he fell."

Akira went silent, completely taken aback by his answer. She asked hesitantly, "Why did he commit suicide?"

"He left a note saying that he was tired of his responsibilities."

She stopped in her tracks and gave Itachi a look of disbelief. "That's stupid. There's no way he would have took his own life for that!"

Itachi only stared at her quietly. Few seconds passed by and Akira knew that he didn't plan on talking. She sighed, disappointed. "Why won't you tell me anything?"

"Because there's nothing for me to tell," Itachi answered casually as if nothing was wrong. They continued their walk in silence.

I'm sorry, Akira.

Itachi apologized in his mind.

Knowing too much will cause you harm.

At that time, the Uchiha Clan was being constantly ostracized, resulting to discontent and frustration. The clan members were planning a coup d'etat and the village was on the brink of civil war. He, nor Shisui, did not want to cause Akira harm and decided to keep her in the dark.

As soon as the two reached the Uzumaki house, Akira and Itachi immediately noticed a boy standing outside of the front door, wearing a ragged raincoat while holding an umbrella on his right hand.

"Naruto?" Akira called.

The boy, upon noticing the arrival of his sister, immediately ran and embraced her tightly. "Nee-chan! Why did you suddenly run off like that?" he asked with a pout.

"I went to the hospital," she replied with a small smile and ruffled his blonde hair gently. "Well, what are you doing here? It's raining. You should go back inside."

"I was going to search for you 'ttebayo! Since you also forgot your umbrella!" Naruto rubbed his nose with a proud smile. A familiar man walked up to them and upon recognizing him, Naruto turned to his older sister with a grin. "Good thing your boyfriend fetched you, nee-chan!"

Akira blushed in embarrassment. "He's not my boyfriend!"

Naruto ignored her and gestured a thumbs up at Itachi. "Thank you for walking home my nee-chan, boyfriend-niichan!"

"No problem," Itachi replied, smiling back at the boy. The pinkhead glared at him and hit the back of his head.

"You should have denied it, stupid!" she chided, before giving Naruto her trademark warning look. The little boy shrieked and immediately ran back to the house. Akira sighed.

"See you tomorrow," Itachi said.

She nodded. "Yeah, see 'ya. And, by the way, tell Sasuke-kun to stop bullying my brother."

"That's my line," he smirked. With a wave of his hand, Itachi then disappeared completely.

"A date, huh?" Naruto teased as he peeked from the door.

"Eh? Did you say something?" she asked with a fake smile, but her menacing aura definitely gave her away. Naruto yelped and escaped.

As soon as they entered the house, the siblings had their dinner: ramen. Sadly, since she left in a haste, Akira forgot to cook a more decent meal.

"Nee-chan," Naruto muttered in between his munches. "Will you help me with my homework?"

Akira glanced at him as she blew the heat away from the noodles. "Your reason?"

"Of course, it's to defeat Sasuke!" he said and determinedly raised his hand. "Will you help me now?"

"No. Do it yourself."