thirty-three.

SONG-BLUR;BONES

"How could you judge another being seeing as we're all just dust?"

-

When I entered my mother's home in hopes of seeing her presence left over with a set of spare keys and an empty Wawa coffee cup, I was brought to surprise when she sat on the couch with her hands collected at her crossed knees.

She wore her usual work clothes, a dress of some tribal pattern and some heels. Her hair spilled over her shoulders in coils that were beginning to fall, only half of it tucked away behind the shells of her ears that dropped with expensive jewelry. A frown complimented her unamused and worried glare, informing me that I had come too late for her liking.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." I apologized with coffee breath and the knowledge that my apologies would not suffice. "I was at Danny's and my phone died, I meant to call you but I couldn't."

"Danny's house doesn't have any outlets?" Her voice cut into the air and I knew it wasn't brutal, for she was only worried with my whereabouts.

My silence only made her jerk her head in disbelief and impatience. "There's no excuse.. I should've charged my phone and called you as soon as possible."

"Not even. You know my number by heart, you could've used someone else's phone." She looked at my attire, my body draped in flannels and my hair mangled in a mess. Her eyes cascaded over mine, makeup smeared but in a good way because a small smile ran across my face. She pursed her lips. "I have to get to work. Emilio made breakfast, its in the microwave and we're going to dinner tonight. Be home by dark."

"I don't think I'm going anywhere." I plucked at the string coming from the hem of the flannel Danny gave me.

She responded with silence and began to gather her things, mumbling out her checklist and what she needed to get done for her day at work. While she was getting ready in the short amount of time she had, I sat on the couch and rubbed my makeup even more to get the crust from my eyes.

"If you do go anywhere, be home at a reasonable time. If you're staying somewhere, call me. I can't afford another night staying up and worrying about you." She grabbed her car keys and unlocked the doors from the living room. After walking to the front and wrapping her hand around the knob, she bent down to place a kiss onto my forehead. "Your boyfriend is waiting outside for you."

My heart fell at her words, the smile on my face dropping and disappearing for god knows how long. She exited the house and left the door open for me with a silent bid goodbye and a rushed attempt to get to work on time. I looked at the open door and hugged Danny's flannel close to my chest, keeping my eyes shut for the desperate sake of dipping back into the never ending sea of sleep. It didn't last long enough because the door was waiting for me, he was waiting for me, I was waiting for me.