twenty-eight.

SONG-WIDE EYES; LOCAL NATIVES

"They told me how they fear it, now they're placing it on their tongues."

-

-

"I thought there would be more stars but I guess light pollution in Jersey is real."

I laughed and counted the stars in the sky on my fingers as Harry tapped on my thigh absentmindedly. We laid on the top of his car and watched as the sky turned from a light blue to a dark, the air growing just a bit cooler. He pulled the long sleeves of his white shirt over his knuckles and wrapped our bodies in the blanket, my head snuggled into his armpit and my eyes threatening to close. "What time is it?" I mumbled and he pulled his phone out to check.

"Quarter after six."

I didn't want to leave and he didn't want to either; our bodies were glued together and accompanied by silence the two of us enjoyed. His warmth was so welcoming, suffocating in the best way possible. I only wanted to breathe him in, swallow him whole for myself only. Who'd think that a simple date like this could make a Monday night so much better. I was going to make it ten times worse.

"Harry?"

He responded with a hum and I contemplated doing what I was about to do by distracting myself with the hem of his white t shirt on top of his white long sleeve.

"Alicia told me-"

We were both startled by the sudden bang coming from behind us, a shrill screeching followed by a familiar laugh. I got up on the truck, elbows resting on the roof and my torso contorting to give me a view of who disturbed the both of us. Harry did the same and we both squinted to heighten our view, my eyes softening when I noticed the couple. It was Mercutio and Alicia, fucking baked.

"Is that Aida and British boy?" Alicia looked towards the truck and soon Harry's warmth disappeared, the truck shaking due to his weight being suddenly put off. I watched as he signaled for me to come down too, clearing my throat.

"Hey, Alicia." I called out to her, not sure if my tone was welcoming or not. I brought the blanket with me on my way down and balled it up, tossing it back in the trunk. "What are you two doing here?"

They both walked towards the truck with wobbly legs and unsure feet, giggling at the simplest way Harry fixed his hair and tucked it away with his beanie. "We went to get ice cream but they kicked us out." Mercutio's face grew clearer as they both came close. "What are you two doing.. are you guys.. a thing?"

Harry sucked his teeth before walking over to the driver's seat and jumping in. I glanced at him for a moment before directing my attention back to Alicia and Mercutio. The car started which caught my attention again, and I squinted at him. "What are you doing?" I whispered and he looked around, jerking his head in disbelief as if it were a stupid question.