Synth-En

Apologies for the crappy chapter. Writing based on an episode and trying to get the dialogue spot-on is difficult. I'll try harder in the next part.

This chapter takes place during 'Stronger, Faster' from Season 1, presumably you've seen it. If not... oh well here's (sotra) what happened...

--- 

"Hey Ratchet, is that Synthetic Energon?" Raf inquired while looking over at the medic's workstation.

Ratchet chuckled with Comet in one servo, the other clasping a jar of the green liquid. "Indeed. And I see you've come equipped with protective goggles."

"I can watch!" Raf exclaimed in surprise. Ratchet chuckled and set Comet down, giving him a large bottle filled with Energon. The sparkling took it and guzzled it happily while his Sire prepared the test.

"We just add some to this test engine..." Ratchet said while infusing the Energon into the machine. The engine glowed lime green and hummed gently. Ratchet and Raf smiled in triumph.

"It works!" The young boy cheered, catching Comet's attention. He cooed with interest and discarded his empty bottle, now wanting to see the green alternative. Ratchet noticed and scooped him back up gently. "Ep ep ep Comet, don't touch."

"Bee!" Raf called out excitedly.

"Ep ep ep! I admit, the results seem promising. But this version of the formula requires further trial before we can even think about using it for fuel, or munitions, or first aid. Which is rather unfortunate because our natural Energon supplies are at an all time low."

Raf frowned sadly just as Optimus came in, informing the team that there was Energon being transported. As they prepared to leave and intercept, Ratchet warned Optimus that they couldn't afford any casualties due to their low supplies. The Prime assured him that they would be careful before he, Arcee, Bulkhead and Bumblebee departed through the waiting Groundbridge, leaving Ratchet behind.

The medic sighed in disappointment, mostly in himself. Results on the Synthetic Energon formula were slow-coming. And time was one thing they were running out of.

"Sometimes, I wish I could do more."

Then he realised he could.

Ratchet set Comet on the ground with his toy hummer, out of reach of his work. He motioned for his sparkling to stay put and picked up a jar of the prototype Synthetic Energon, slotting it into an injector. With a gulp, the mech stabbed the needle into his arm. The substance invaded his viens at a fast rate, and after mere seconds Ratchet stumbled backwards and collapsed with a metallic thud.

The glass jar that had previously contained the experimental substance smashed on contact with the floor, barely missing Comet. The youngster yelped upon the glass' shattering and looked to see it's cause, instead seeing Ratchet lying motionless on the ground.

"Sire?" Comet said and waddled over to the 'bot. No reply came.

"Sire? You sleep?" Comet asked and tapped his forearm, thinking maybe he'd just drifted off like he had the previous night. Still no reply came from Ratchet, so Comet held his Sire's large servo with his own small ones and shook it continuously. When Ratchet didn't move or respond the sparkling started to get scared.

"Sire!" Comet yelled and clambered onto the mech's chestplate. "Sire! No sleep!" He lightly tapped Ratchet's faceplate, slowly at first, then faster as he grew more desperate. 

"Sire! No sleep! Sire?..."

--

"Ratchet?" Raf called as the medic's optics slowly fluttered open, much to his sparkling's relief. Comet had began to cry and scream, altering Raf to the problem. It'd been almost 20 minutes since Ratchet passed out, and both kids were became more afraid with every passing minute. That was until their desperate pleas finally roused the medic from his drug-induced sleep.

"Wake up!" Raf yelled, voice riddled with concern. Comet was watching, optics wide with fear and anticipation. Once he saw Ratchet's optics begin to open he almost jumped for joy and squealed. "Sire!!!"

Ratchet groaned and sat up slowly, allowing Raf and Comet ample chance to slide off. "How is it beings so small can be so loud?"

"Are you hurt? You fell." Raf asked anxiously as the medic steadied himself on his peds. Comet hugged his shin, soon to be plucked and held by Ratchet in one servo. 

"I'm fine." Ratchet assured them, changing his tone curiously as he popped open the screen on his arm to check his vitals."I'm more than fine.." He gasped in surprise at his heightened readings. "Energy efficiency is up 30%, motor functions optimal?"The medic emitted a light chuckle and looked down to Raf. "Any word from the others?"

Raf shook his head while Comet glanced up at his Sire's faceplate, and was the first to take note of his discoloured optics. His own blue optics widened and he gave a small "ooh!" in surprise. He wasn't the least bit concerned now. His Sire was awake again and his eyes were green. Comet likes green.

"Green!" The sparkling excalimed, provoking a confused look from Ratchet. Comet merely giggled and pointed at his optics. "Pretty green!"

Quickly, Ratchet turned to his computer screen and caught sight of his faceplate in the reflection. He stayed silent and thought for a few moments, then laughed. He'd finally done it! He'd perfected Synthetic Energon! Now they could produce all the fuel they'd ever need! And the formula was stable. I mean, he didn't feel any different. Discoloured optics wasn't a problem really...

Oh no. The problems came soon after.